Sump setups

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody! Eventually I plan on upgrading from my 36 bow to a 75 rimless. I want to star piecing together the this that I’m going to need for the 75 little by little. But my question is why do some people set up their sumps with the return in the middle? What’s the point of splitting the feed for the sump?

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it's due to pump location (centered can allow for a straighter run of return plumbing, which yields higher flow due to reduced head pressure). Other times it's to allow for different water levels or flow in the various sections. There's not really a right/wrong answer; so long as the various areas of the sump get enough flow, there's not too much difference. Often having a refugium before a skimmer is preferred as a skimmer may strip out nutrients that the fuge could use to grow, but that's not always important to have (generally only in ULN - Ultra Low Nutrient - systems).

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return in the middle is somewhat common on DIY sumps with a large refugium. Fuge volume is often maxed out within a given space. By tee'ing off the return pipe, you can use a full height baffle, and control the flow through the fuge, and allow the water to flow back into the return section easily. The full height baffle greatly increases the fuge volume.

9hpziYQ.jpg

OP
OP
A

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ED76A391-FA93-418C-82BA-7053CA849C08.jpeg

I’ve seen a couple where the tee is on the feed line. Borrowed the pic from google!

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back