Sump Siphon Overflow Not Quite Cutting It

reefpatrique

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -- long time listener, first time caller!

I have a 75g with a 792 gph pump with a 1 inch return flow. For my overflow, I constructed a siphon based on the design in the following video:

The specifics are that the frame/case/body of the siphon is 1-1/2 inch PVC, and the "pi" shaped piece is 1 inch PVC. The siphon drains into a sump through 1-1/2 inch PVC.

I've read that 1-1/2 inch plumbing should generally be sufficient for the return pump I have. However, the overflow is not draining to keep up with the return. Do you think there is something wrong with the overflow? Or should I just try adding more overflow plumbing?

TIA!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the video without sound so I dont know what they guy was splaining. I do notice that when he places it in the tank and shows you how it works, the flow is very slow. Maybe its just a slow flow siphon. Maybe email the guy

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The center section over the side is only one inch. That kind of flow is really pushing it for a single 1 inch pipe.

The water has to pass between the inside and outside of the 2 pipes. I wonder what size that works out to be?

OP
OP
R

reefpatrique

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the video without sound so I dont know what they guy was splaining. I do notice that when he places it in the tank and shows you how it works, the flow is very slow. Maybe its just a slow flow siphon. Maybe email the guy

Thanks, I'll get in touch with him. Otherwise, any recommendations on a solid fast-flowing siphon design?

OP
OP
R

reefpatrique

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The center section over the side is only one inch. That kind of flow is really pushing it for a single 1 inch pipe.

The water has to pass between the inside and outside of the 2 pipes. I wonder what size that works out to be?

Thanks -- I ended up also making one of these siphons with 2 inch pipe so the 1-1/2 inch could be the pass-through. It's just so massive, and in the test it didn't flow as well as the one I'm posting about, but I'll give it another shot.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try the 2 inch outside with the 1 inch inside pipe over the top. I would also cut the bottoms of the legs of the inside pipe with a pretty sharp angle.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back