Overflow pipe sizes

piznac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so,. I picked up a 75 tank "reef ready". It has 2 holes,. one 3/4" - one 1-1/2". It looks like to me it was setup with the larger hole being the return and the smaller being the drain. I am fairly new to drilled tanks (oddly enough I have always done external overflow for years.).

Seems to me like the drain should be the larger hole and the return the smaller one. Am I wrong? Please explain either way. Thank you!!!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pictures may help, but based on what you have provided it is likely that the 3/4 is the return and the 1.5 is the drain. Are those holes in the glass? It is also possible that the larger hole is for the overflow.

OP
OP
P

piznac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get a picture,. it is still pretty dirty,. but yes those holes are in the bottom glass.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so,. I picked up a 75 tank "reef ready". It has 2 holes,. one 3/4" - one 1-1/2". It looks like to me it was setup with the larger hole being the return and the smaller being the drain. I am fairly new to drilled tanks (oddly enough I have always done external overflow for years.).

Seems to me like the drain should be the larger hole and the return the smaller one. Am I wrong? Please explain either way. Thank you!!!
I'm assuming these are drilled on the bottom glass, or are they on the back glass?

And, are the these hole sizes without a bulkhead in place?

The reason I ask, is a a 3/4in diameter hole would be pretty small - a 3/4in PVC Bulkhead would require a 1.33in hole, while a 1/2in bulkhead would require a 1.06in hole. At least according to BRS

OP
OP
P

piznac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again this is the state it is in now :)

IMG20231001194350.jpg
IMG20231001194335.jpg

OP
OP
P

piznac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, are the these hole sizes without a bulkhead in place?

The reason I ask, is a a 3/4in diameter hole would be pretty small - a 3/4in PVC Bulkhead would require a 1.33in hole, while a 1/2in bulkhead would require a 1.06in hole. At least according to BRS

Yes without the bulkhead,. I may be measuring wrong, and that was a rough guess.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back