Sump temperature is 5 degrees hotter!

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have reefbrite strips to turn off when my tank reaches temp of 80 degrees.

I stuck my hand in the display and immediately knew something wasn’t right. I grabbed my thermometer and the display was 75.2 Fahrenheit while my sump read 80.1 Fahrenheit.

My heater is located in the sump. I have my Kessil light on the refugium but that wouldn’t make it the culprit I have 2 fixtures in the display.

Any recommendations?

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
My sump reading is below.

Disregard specific gravity the probe is off

68AB165B-0DAF-40A3-BFE5-7F1FFE76F29D.png

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I stuck my hand in the display and immediately knew something wasn’t right. I grabbed my thermometer and the display was 75.2 Fahrenheit while my sump read 80.1 Fahrenheit.

My heater is located in the sump. I have my Kessil light on the refugium but that wouldn’t make it the culprit I have 2 fixtures in the display.

Any recommendations?
What kind of heating system do you have? Does it have a separate probe? What size is your DT vs Sump? And when you measured your DT with the thermometer, you used the same one to measure the sump and 80.1 was the reading? Also what is the ambient room temp vs. where the sump is at? I am assuming your sump is inside your stand? What is your flow rate on your return pump?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any recommendations?
You should be measuring tank temperature in the display as that is where the fish/coral are.

I have no idea what the temp is in my sump - it would depend on flow.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
What kind of heating system do you have? Does it have a separate probe? What size is your DT vs Sump? And when you measured your DT with the thermometer, you used the same one to measure the sump and 80.1 was the reading? Also what is the ambient room temp vs. where the sump is at? I am assuming your sump is inside your stand? What is your flow rate on your return pump?
Ok this was interesting .

i cranked my cor20 up to 99% and realized I had little flow draining into my sump. I am wondering if my return pump is going out and contributing to the elevated temp.

Display is 150g and sump 40g using the same thermometer. Temp inside house is 74 and yes the sump is in the stand

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any recommendations?
I just checked mine. Apex with probe and heater in the sump says 78.5 and in tank with a thermometer read 77. But I have an oversized return pump.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I just checked mine. Apex with probe and heater in the sump says 78.5 and in tank with a thermometer read 77. But I have an oversized return pump.
I’m kinda worried now as if my return pump cor20 isn’t doing its job. I just mentioned when I checked the water in the drain , barely a little was coming through. I checked the overflow box and the water isn’t anywhere near the emergency drain. Just slowly going down the drain.

I’m at 99% with the cor20

79E1C377-DB58-424E-B4F5-029C4474371D.png

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this was interesting .

i cranked my cor20 up to 99% and realized I had little flow draining into my sump. I am wondering if my return pump is going out and contributing to the elevated temp.

Display is 150g and sump 40g using the same thermometer. Temp inside house is 74 and yes the sump is in the stand
Sounds like a flow problem. I thought those fancy donkey Cor's were supposed to let you know when they where dying...

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m kinda worried now as if my return pump cor20 isn’t doing its job. I just mentioned when I checked the water in the drain , barely a little was coming through. I checked the overflow box and the water isn’t anywhere near the emergency drain. Just slowly going down the drain.

I’m at 99% with the cor20

79E1C377-DB58-424E-B4F5-029C4474371D.png
Since it is late, consider putting a heater in the main tank....make sure its own thermomter turns off around 78, or keep it plugged into the apex. All your running powerheads should be enough flow to oxygenate the tank. Then take care of the return pump tomorrow.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Sounds like a flow problem. I thought those fancy donkey Cor's were supposed to let you know when they where dying...
I am leaning towards a bad cor20.

I have time. Everything is still running still and I can switch my apex and heater to the display for now. What is a good return pump greater than the cor20

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
So if you are at 99% and only using 39 watts then something is wrong. While the power rating is confusing when I looked it up, it should be using 90 watts at full.
Right now I’m going to switch my thermometer and heater in the display .

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my Tropical, I am using a Reef Octopus, pretty happy with that. But in my temperate I am setting up I will be going with the echotech. You should be able to control an echo tech with your Apex soon if you wanted to go that route.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back