Sump to Display Tank

cactusmoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having problems with my water flow from tank to sump and sump to tank. I cant seem to get them to go at an even rate. Is this possible to make equal on both sides? I know that doing a herbie (I think that is the name) style or bean style overflow box would solve this but I dont think i can drill into my tank for the overflow box. Is it possible to do one of these styles syphoning into an overflow box?

btw my tank to sump pipe is 3/4" and my return line is 1" pumped with a mag-5

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEVER EVER, did I say never, restrict the overflow from the display to the sump. This should flow unrestricted and you control the flow rate with a ball valve on the discharge side of the return pump only. As long as your overflow is sized properly the return pump will determine the flow rate and the overflow will match whatever it does. No balancing is required other than making sure you have the correct overflow box and unrestricted plumbing.

OP
OP
C

cactusmoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. After posting I looked on YouTube and got a better idea of how to do a hob overflow.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a full siphon you have no choice fwiw... They drain more than most return pumps can handle... So your telling me a properly setup bean overflow is no good and you should never do it??? Man you don't know what your missing.. Never, never, did I mention never??? Go off one mans opinion..;)

Last edited:

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why complicate a simple thing? A simple Stockman or Durso standpipe works well and my Stockman is completely silent when the air intake is set properly, besides that is compact and clean looking.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing complicated about it... A siphon with a ball valve is dead silent and introduces zero air which means zero micro bubbles... I like the best and it's the best..1smile1

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back