Sump Wall Attachment

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to use a rubbermaid stock tank as a sump. I keep going back and forth with different ideas and want some opinions on these 4 things...

1. I was thinking of using a tunze osmolator but will the magnet work through this thick plastic? How else could I attach it to sump wall? I dont like the idea of drilling or gluing but maybe thats best?

2. What should I use for dosing tube holders (where do I buy) and how do I attach that to sump wall? This one I am cool with gluing, is that best? What kind of glue is best?

3. Same as 2 except probe holders

4. To hold titanium heaters, I've seen sumps with curved plastic meant to lay a heater on, wont hot metal burn plastic? Any unique ways to secure heaters in sump?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to use a rubbermaid stock tank as a sump. I keep going back and forth with different ideas and want some opinions on these 4 things...

1. I was thinking of using a tunze osmolator but will the magnet work through this thick plastic? How else could I attach it to sump wall? I dont like the idea of drilling or gluing but maybe thats best?

I'd go with epoxy probably

2. What should I use for dosing tube holders (where do I buy) and how do I attach that to sump wall? This one I am cool with gluing, is that best? What kind of glue is best?

DIY out of scrap acrylic. Cement the pieces together to make a bracket to hold them on.

3. Same as 2 except probe holders

Same as 2

4. To hold titanium heaters, I've seen sumps with curved plastic meant to lay a heater on, wont hot metal burn plastic? Any unique ways to secure heaters in sump?

The acrylic won't melt because it will be water cooled! I made mine out of acrylic. Works great

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good suggestions from Billdogg, anyone else do these another way?

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my titanium heater in the same chamber as my return pump. It was pushed against the Rio pump and melted the corner of it

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Billdogg
Only thing with epoxy is that when I eventually need to replace the osmolator how do I get it off if its epoxied in?

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a magnetic probe holder on my Rubbermaid sump. No issues with the thickness of the plastic, and it holds well. Mine are Sea Side Aquatics brand, pretty sure I got it on amazon. And for the titanium heater, you can see the live rock in the bottom of my sump. I just lay the heater across the rocks. Added benefit of more live rock in your system as well. I don’t think you will have problems with the magnets holding on these stock tanks. Mine is the 150 gallon tank.
36576D44-8312-41BD-8974-D93C3A047DDF.jpeg

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a magnetic probe holder on my Rubbermaid sump. No issues with the thickness of the plastic, and it holds well. Mine are Sea Side Aquatics brand, pretty sure I got it on amazon. And for the titanium heater, you can see the live rock in the bottom of my sump. I just lay the heater across the rocks. Added benefit of more live rock in your system as well. I don’t think you will have problems with the magnets holding on these stock tanks. Mine is the 150 gallon tank.
36576D44-8312-41BD-8974-D93C3A047DDF.jpeg
Thanks, I will either use magnet or epoxy it. how did you attach your ATO? Is it an osmolator?

Also, water coming from tank, does your pvc just dump that water from tank below the surface of sump water?

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will either use magnet or epoxy it. how did you attach your ATO? Is it an osmolator?

Also, water coming from tank, does your pvc just dump that water from tank below the surface of sump water?
My ATO is a monstrosity. I feed directly from my RO filter into my sump. I don’t use a separate ATO tank. What I do, 95% of people would recommend against. I am using an Endress and Hauser controller fed by a hydrostatic water level sensor with a relay that opens my water solenoid and turns on my booster pump (on the same relay circuit). This dumps RO water directly into my sump. I have it set with a .35” hysteresis, so that when the level in my sump reaches 16.90 inches, the relay energizes, starting my RO system. It then runs until my sump level reaches 17.25 inches and then shuts off. This is industrial automation components meant for water treatment plants. I have been running this system since around 2001 and have not had it fail even once. I’ve had plumbing leaks, but my control system has never failed.

So I may not be the best person to ask about commercially available ATO systems...
1C340E40-2692-4190-9C3E-F07D0A7339C8.jpeg

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer the second part of your question, mine is a basement sump. You can see that 1.5” white PVC comes through my cold air return from my 180 display tank upstairs. It has a 90 degree bend and a 45 bend on it to direct the flow more sideways from that long fall down. But I do have a 75 gallon tank in my basement next to to my sump with 2 drilled overflows. Those drain from the 2 vinyl hoses you see on the right side of my sump. The ends are submerged to reduce splashing and noise. Noise doesn’t concern me as much because my sump is in my basement. But yes, the PVC is submerged about 10 inches below water level and the vinyl hoses are just barely submerged.
64E5CC9D-885A-4C81-9179-568874B76C6F.jpeg

Back