Sump worth it or not???

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I look at was eshopps, I would really like to go that route but the possible flooding has me worried.
I have an Eshops, starts right back up every time, just maintenance it and set it up right and it works as it states. I shut down the pumps every time I do a WC and it starts right back up. I made a lid for mine on the intake box to prevent anything (like a snail) getting in it so nothing should be able to clog it, thats the only thing that I was worried about.

OP
OP
Jayson Ledbetter

Jayson Ledbetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havrv
I have an Eshops, starts right back up every time, just maintenance it and set it up right and it works as it states. I shut down the pumps every time I do a WC and it starts right back up. I made a lid for mine on the intake box to prevent anything (like a snail) getting in it so nothing should be able to clog it, thats the only thing that I was worried about.
have u got pics or a video of your sump and overflo? What would most likely cause would To over flow?

IBernE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40B with a reef octopus skimmer and a chaeto reactor that I added around a month ago. I also considered adding a sump but for me it was only to hide my equipment (Skimmer and heater) The tank has been doing fantastic so I decided not to. If you're doing your water changes consistently, your filters are keeping water clear and your livestock looks happy, why change anything? At the most I would take out that aqueon, they have good flow but not a lot of space, change it for an aquaclear. It Has more space for sponges, floss etc. and carbon/gfo if you decide to add it. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havrv
have u got pics or a video of your sump and overflo? What would most likely cause would To over flow?
I can post some when I get home, at this point tho the only way my tank could experiance an overflow would be a fritzy ato (totally seperate issue) or if there was phisical damage caused by someone to the system, as i said it used to be that the internal box to the overflow had an open top and while it never happend it was possible that a snail or fish could get in there and clog it. Now with the lid this is not a possibility as anything small enoug to fit through the slats wont clog it.

MykDoyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2588.PNG
For me personally, my sump is as important as my Display Tank. Therefore I did a lot of research and had one made to address my needs. I bought a sump from Geo's Reef and it everything I hope for and more. Check out the pictures of my sump.
I've had a number of generic ones over the years but the last two were an eShopps and CPR. The CPR was a pain to clean but worked well.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2588.PNG
For me personally, my sump is as important as my Display Tank. Therefore I did a lot of research and had one made to address my needs. I bought a sump from Geo's Reef and it everything I hope for and more. Check out the pictures of my sump.

What does this have to do with an HOB overflow?

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can post some when I get home, at this point tho the only way my tank could experiance an overflow would be a fritzy ato (totally seperate issue) or if there was phisical damage caused by someone to the system, as i said it used to be that the internal box to the overflow had an open top and while it never happend it was possible that a snail or fish could get in there and clog it. Now with the lid this is not a possibility as anything small enoug to fit through the slats wont clog it.
Here is my setup
6545010dc5424306542fb3805f152727.jpg
ea1248b1addce71f0f8ec50ea148a4dd.jpg
ecf0823a1407a090c80d068e534119d2.jpg
052a8055113fa5e766c8c5eba14b3933.jpg
f6bee7cd022048e90459923b1b2d904c.jpg

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious, have any of the people talking about HOB flooding had one flood. Are is this just something they think can happen. I have a 55 gallon with a HOB and a 120 gallon drilled. I worry more about my drilled tank flooding than my HOB tank. I don't know what kind of HOB overflows they are using but I don't know it would be possible for he one I have to flood. I shut my pump off every week. It has never lost siphon. The only way it would be possible to lost siphon would be if someone removed the pipe. I have had HOB filters, skimmers, and canister filters. A sump works way better for me. I would never own a saltwater tank without a sump again.

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i did use my hob overflow i shut my pump off twice a day to feed. Never had a flood.

But i do think a sump was worth it for me.

OP
OP
Jayson Ledbetter

Jayson Ledbetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your definitely giving me some hope, lol. Would really like to see pics of video when I have time. Thanks

wrestle1952

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My most successful reefs (SPS dominated) was HOB filter with a surface skimmer which I placed my chemical filtration (usually chemi pure and GFO) I also used an HOB Eshopps which I found comparable to sump skimmers. I went to a sump when I moved. I sprang a leak in the return pump which cost thousands in repair fees and the necessity to replace a floor. I moved and discovered another small leak getting down the backside of my stand causing it to rot and 350 gallon tank would have eventually cracked. I recently purchased a Red Sea Max E260 all-in-one. The one thing my wife stated repeatedly "NO SUMP!" The E 260 can be upgraded to a sump model, however if I did that it would be divorce court! I am happy with my tank and returned to an all SPS tank.

OP
OP
Jayson Ledbetter

Jayson Ledbetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My most successful reefs (SPS dominated) was HOB filter with a surface skimmer which I placed my chemical filtration (usually chemi pure and GFO) I also used an HOB Eshopps which I found comparable to sump skimmers. I went to a sump when I moved. I sprang a leak in the return pump which cost thousands in repair fees and the necessity to replace a floor. I moved and discovered another small leak getting down the backside of my stand causing it to rot and 350 gallon tank would have eventually cracked. I recently purchased a Red Sea Max E260 all-in-one. The one thing my wife stated repeatedly "NO SUMP!" The E 260 can be upgraded to a sump model, however if I did that it would be divorce court! I am happy with my tank and returned to an all SPS tank.
350 gallon , my dream tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back