Sumps and Such

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am getting ready to build a 225 reef tank. I have been deciding what to do for a sump. This has been a tough decision, the last tank was a 150 and I built an acrylic sump from scratch, it came out great and worked very well. I am still considering this; however, the cost of the acrylic is almost as much as the cost of a trigger sump that will support this tank. So I am looking for input regarding Trigger sumps or others for that matter.

As a side note I have about a 36 gallon sump that came with the tank that I will be using for a Refugium.

The main function of the sump will be for marine pure blocks, skimmer, heater, dosing and return pump.

Thanks for your thoughts and inputs.

OP
OP
Freddy0144

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but use acrylic tanks are expensive, I started with a glass sump in the past and this failed terribly with a cracked panel that was drilled. It leaked and made mess. Also most 55 ish tanks are only 12 inches wide, the skimmers of today have a larger foot print.

OP
OP
Freddy0144

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a decision was made on the sump. After some cruising around Triggers website I noticed they offer blemished sumps. I ordered one at a decent discount. They guarantee full functionality and still warranty product.

OP
OP
Freddy0144

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this will get some traction while embedded into my original post. I am looking at return pumps for the sump. So far I know I am looking at about 12' of head pressure from the basement to the top of the tank. There are likely to be a few sweeping 90 degree angles also. I have looked at the Jebao Jecod pumps which are attractive due to price, however I also believe you get what you pay for. I also like the Vecrta L1 however no place has them in stock and I think I am pushing the limits with the head pressure. Abyzz is very attractive, however I am not a millionaire any it will delay the tank for a couple of months. I have looked at external pumps but would rather stick with the new DC technology as it will greatly lower the electric bill. So that is the story here is the ask. For those who are running Jabeo pumps I would like to know how long you have been running them and any issues you have had with them. If there were issues did they stand behind the product?

Thanks for your input, I will start my build thread soon as I am getting close to being ready for the build.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back