Sumps?

nick76lebanon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so im really new to reefing (two months) and i put a canister filter on my tank but i kind of want to switch to a sump for the versatility of it. Is there anyone that can give me like the basic layout of how a sump should look like where the protein skimmer is, filter socks, carbon, refugium, anything else?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3497EA72-5159-4148-B705-B5E7458D2DC1.jpeg

As a suggestion, go to a site like Bulk Reef Supply or Marine Depot and study-up by reading descriptions. They can get increasingly complicated, so start with the most basic design (like the one in the photo). Water comes in at the left, and get’s ‘mechanically’ filtered. (As shown, through a filter sock. It could be a cup of floss, or several other things.) The middle can hold rocks for bacteria, macro algae, a protein skimmer, whatever. The right side is where a return pump sits, to send water back to your tank. (The black sponge you see is to trap micro bubbles so the pump doesn’t suck in bubbles and send them up into your tank.) Again, it gets more and more ‘jazzy’ from there.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back