Sun coral or Fathead Dendro question

monicalooze

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 28, 2020
Messages
264
Reaction score
256
Location
Minneapolis
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an NPS/sessile filter feeder nano tank with gorgonians, mushrooms, sponges, and a toadstool. My nutrients stay high because of all the feeding, which doesn't bother the soft corals or gorgs (it helps them), but I want to try a fat head dendro or sun coral for more texture. I know high phosphates and nitrates can inhibit calcification, though. I do have coralline growing, but it took a while to come back after it disappeared from my live rock.

Any thoughts on whether they would be comparable with my system, knowing I will probably never get my nitrates under 25ppm or phosphates under 0.1ppm.

 
Yeah I think you're fine. There are people with ~0.2 PO4 who grow healthy sun corals. Like your other corals, they would really appreciate the dirty water, haha
 
Hi, I got myself a 2-head sun coral about three months ago and my tank averages around 18ppm nitrate and 0.1ppm phosphate, which occasionally increases to 0.3 ppm after feeding reef roids. My sun coral seems quite happy with this elevated nitrate and phosphate level and has doubled in size since I got it.

I've been feeding it every other day with reef roids and so far I'm finding it quite easy to keep and really stunning at night when it opens up to feed. You need to spot-feed sun corals as they don't photosynthesis like other corals.

I'm glad I got it, as you don't really see them much and they're a very unusual-looking coral.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2022-10-01 at 10.02.13.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-01 at 10.02.13.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot 2022-10-01 at 10.21.12.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-01 at 10.21.12.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 71

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new