Sun coral

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really isn't any NPS coral subsection so posted here. I've had this coral for several months now. Typically opens during my moonlight mode. Beautiful colors when it's open. Kind of like an orange duncan.

Anyone had these long term? How often do you feed? I've been like every other day.

20230226_192749.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Have a young fat head dendro that I've been feeding Mon - Fri with reef nutrition slurry plus small TDO pellet or two. Opens up during sunset part of schedule.
I've been using coral feast ova and reef nutrition eggs to. Yes that's when mine opens also. A challenging coral for sure.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really isn't any NPS coral subsection sonposted here. I've had this coral for several months now. Typically opens during my moonlight mode. Beautiful colors when it's open. Kind of like an orange duncan.

Anyone had these long term? How often do you feed? I've been like every other day.

20230226_192749.jpg

It’s been a while but I had them 10 years ago and am looking for some these days. I also fed mine every other day. Just make sure you feed each head.

Sun corals eat tons of plankton daily on the reef. We can’t feed our sun corals like that because our N and P would be through the roof. Thankfully sun corals do well with a feeding every other day or even two days. The less you feed though the less they grow.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while but I had them 10 years ago and am looking for some these days. I also fed mine every other day. Just make sure you feed each head.

Sun corals eat tons of plankton daily on the reef. We can’t feed our sun corals like that because our N and P would be through the roof. Thankfully sun corals do well with a feeding every other day or even two days. The less you feed though the less they grow.
Check with corals.com that's where I got mine. They have excellent quality corals and shipping.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using coral feast ova and reef nutrition eggs to. Yes that's when mine opens also. A challenging coral for sure.
It might benefit them if you feed them some shrimp or fish once in a while too. It sounds like you’re very much on the right track.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you broadcast? Multiple times during the day? I'm seeing up a new 40L that will have a refrigerated liquid food dosing setup and plan to dose the RN slurry a few times during the day and maybe once or twice at night (current dosing of 1.5mL divided by 3, 4 or 5). Hoping that keeps the fat head, future NPS and night extenders (scoly, trachy, trumpet) happy.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you broadcast? Multiple times during the day? I'm seeing up a new 40L that will have a refrigerated liquid food dosing setup and plan to dose the RN slurry a few times during the day and maybe once or twice at night (current dosing of 1.5mL divided by 3, 4 or 5). Hoping that keeps the fat head, future NPS and night extenders (scoly, trachy, trumpet) happy.
I fed mine shrimp, fish, and other meaty foods back then. I didn’t feed the liquid or powdered foods back then. My phosphates and nitrates were high enough and I didn’t want them to go higher. When I get mine this time around I’ll try out the liquid and powdered foods. I’ll also give them meaty foods every two days if I feed them liquid/ powdered foods as well. Every other day if not.

In the case of liquid/powdered food I’d broadcast feed it if your sun coral is in good flow. If not you might need to feed it with a turkey baster.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back