Sunny D Zoa with Stem

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this is normal for Sunny D Zoas to be having stems such as the ones I have here - I bought them 2 months ago as is - I have them in ample light as per Zoas and yet they appear this way. My other Zoas don't do this, which would indicate that there is enough light, and they aren't stretching for it per se.

Hoping someone here can chime in if this can be normal, or really isn't, and if not, what can I do.

20230201_172334_resized.jpg

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, zoanthids extending their stalks like this are reaching out for more light. My Sunny D's do the same thing actually. Not all zoas are created equal and some prefer higher lighting than others.

Do you know what specific PAR level you have these under?

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, zoanthids extending their stalks like this are reaching out for more light. My Sunny D's do the same thing actually. Not all zoas are created equal and some prefer higher lighting than others.

Do you know what specific PAR level you have these under?
Thanks - PAR is 70 - right next to the Sunny D's are Eagle Eye Zoas, and they appear fine and aren't extending their stems. In your case, do you leave your Sunny Ds as is? I"m not sure if I should be moving them higher up the tank - they look kinda neat with the stems, but if it's damaging them in any way, then I'll have to move them up.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's damaging them. Here are what mine looked like not long ago. You can see they are stretching out (long stalks/stems), but other than that they are extremely healthy looking in my opinion and are continuing to multiply. I think as long as yours are growing and creating new polyps, there's nothing to worry about.

1675370501708.png

1675370553400.png

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing the pictures - you have a healthy bunch of zoas! Ok, mine are growing and replicating, so I'll err on the side of 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it' mentality.

Cheers

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back