OP
OP
Sunny Goold

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
God I spent that on a nano setup. I have a real issue.. excited to read this.
Um yeah - that budget is blown - hahaaa.

But if I cheat and say I spent the first $1000 I am still running at around $100 since. I can't believe how patient I am with it. But I know I will go over it once I order the new stand. I spent less than $200 on the tank and stand plus it came with rocks too - so I can't say it was a mistake. But yeah I budgeted in not needing a new stand and it is clear to me now that it's not the case ;)

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep - nah I haven't drilled it yet.

Thanks Luno! You are spot on - I am just taking too much time and overthinking it.

I thought of reinforcing it - and yes - it is the cheaper option. Thing is the stand is only 70cm high and it's divided into 3 sections. So I would basically be looking at gutting the whole stand and reinforcing it and then only having 70cm, which, seems low to me (also I am 6'3").

So at this point I could just build a new stand and it wouldn't cost that much more. But then I would prefer a metal stand. I just want to do it right and be happy long term.

So I am having a metal frame / stand priced. But at the same time I thought "what is the tank I REALLY want"? So I am going to get that priced too. Another point is the overflow. I feel like I want to maximise the length of the tank at 5ft so I would need a slim line overflow (which is expensive). If I go with the 6ft tank I can do a budget version and would be happy to give up a few inches of length.

Also if I use the 5ft as a sump I have more than enough room for a built in ATO reservoir and I am yet to see any need for equipment outside of the sump - like I don't want to do a calc reactor or anything like that. I can just keep it fairly simple

Here is a picture of my options and thanks again for your wise comments - plus I love this is giving you a laugh;)

IMG_2974.JPG

Ok I'm with you now you always planned to run the overflow on the end. Me personally, I've never enjoyed having the overflow built into the tank but if you think it will suit you better go for it! And in how you plan to do this tank it would make sense to actually do it this way. Just trying to save you that monkey your tried to save originally haha.

Honestly your ideas sound pretty good just gonna be a lot more than you originally planned and take a bit more time. But the most important saying in reefing, nothing good happens fast is true in preparing for what you want as well. Pretty much any aspect it's true for haha

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um yeah - that budget is blown - hahaaa.

But if I cheat and say I spent the first $1000 I am still running at around $100 since. I can't believe how patient I am with it. But I know I will go over it once I order the new stand. I spent less than $200 on the tank and stand plus it came with rocks too - so I can't say it was a mistake. But yeah I budgeted in not needing a new stand and it is clear to me now that it's not the case ;)
I hear ya. I was budget friendly until I started looking at all the things I didn’t know or plan on. Ro/di. ATO. Skimmer. Etc. I don’t even have a sump for this ><

OP
OP
Sunny Goold

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long overdue update...

I was totally stoked to find someone was selling old rocks here that are exactly what I was looking for - and they would be 4X the price new. STOKED!

They do need bleaching. Anyhow I set them up in the tank (that will be the sump) this time just to see how they will be. I can't believe how amazing they are. The side of the tank that is blacked out will be the main side people see the tank from. Anyhow I just hope I can work out how to put them back together again and I hope I haven't made too many caves for the fish to hide in.

IMG_2998.JPG

OP
OP
Sunny Goold

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I bought a used Apex (classic) controller. It's on it's way. Later I will have to decide if I buy the other equipment to go with it or upgrade to a better controller. I'm guessing it entirely depends on how long my build goes on and consequently how much I can save towards it. I would love to get that eKoral ;)

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long overdue update...

I was totally stoked to find someone was selling old rocks here that are exactly what I was looking for - and they would be 4X the price new. STOKED!

They do need bleaching. Anyhow I set them up in the tank (that will be the sump) this time just to see how they will be. I can't believe how amazing they are. The side of the tank that is blacked out will be the main side people see the tank from. Anyhow I just hope I can work out how to put them back together again and I hope I haven't made too many caves for the fish to hide in.

IMG_2998.JPG

Nice work man, after using second hand rock many many times can I make one suggestion. After bleach put it back in a tub and treat with lanthium chloride to pull as much leaching phosphate out as possible. You'll be glad you did in a couple years when your phosphate doesn't start to go crazy!!

OP
OP
Sunny Goold

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work man, after using second hand rock many many times can I make one suggestion. After bleach put it back in a tub and treat with lanthium chloride to pull as much leaching phosphate out as possible. You'll be glad you did in a couple years when your phosphate doesn't start to go crazy!!
I will have to find out if I can get that here. Was definitely going to bleach so thanks so much for the suggestion. Any pointers on ratios and time. I was going to do what they did on BRS when they used the bleach so should I just add the lanthium chloride (what ratio) for another at least 4 weeks? Thanks again ;)

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to find out if I can get that here. Was definitely going to bleach so thanks so much for the suggestion. Any pointers on ratios and time. I was going to do what they did on BRS when they used the bleach so should I just add the lanthium chloride (what ratio) for another at least 4 weeks? Thanks again ;)

When I have bleached rocks and done it a fair bit in the past. I give them a good squirt with the high pressure cleaner first. I throw them in big plastic trash cans. I don't even worry about rodi water just tap water for this stage. I just poor a 5L container of pool chlorine in with a power head. I dunno how much volume my plastic bins are but I'd guess 50-70L. Let it run for 2 weeks with a lid on. Empty take rock out, give it another blast with the high pressure cleaner. let them dry in the sun for a few days and put back in with rodi, leave it run for 1-2 weeks or until I can detect phosphate and still with powerhead running.

The lanthium stage I do much stronger than you would if you were using inside a current running tank. I don't dilute it, I drip feed it into the water for about 200-300ml a day. And do this for one week. If the rock has binded up phosphate this should remove a fair chunk, leave rock in bin with pump on for another week. Empty leave rock sit out in sun for a few days and then start to aquascape.

Also if I set up a tank with dead rock I let it cycle/cure for 2-3 months and test for phosphate and if I detect a reasonable level of phosphate I continue lanthium treatment. However I dilute the lanthium in 1L of rodi and drip feed it into a filter sock at about 300ml per day.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind you everyone has different ways of doing things, these are just how I do it. Best thing you can do is ask on here, and read online and decide what sounds best to you.

Before cycle
- While I'm at it, this is the best way I've found to start a tank with dead rock. Do your aqua scaping this is the benefit of dead rock you can play and strengthen and anything you want till your hearts content. So dead rock and new sand in the tank, I don't run lights, skimmer, refugium, or anything else other than return pump wave makers and ato. (This also gives you plenty of time to play with wave makers and get your flow really dialed in)

Initial cycle (roughly 4 weeks length)
- So tanks fill with salt water, I add one fresh medium to large shrimp/prawn if the tank is less than 1000L or 2 if more to the sump. Wait a day or two test for ammonia and if ammonia awesome just let it cycle through. You can test if you want but it's gonna be around 4 weeks anyway.

Lights, filtration (roughly 2 weeks length)
- Once the initial cycle is through and no ammonia or nitrite is detected, Now you should have a decent amount of nitrate this is where most people do a water change, I don't. I add my macro algae to my refugium and Light it at normal light intensity for 12 hours per day reverse cycle (night time). at this point I begin to ramp my lighting cycle up start gradually a few hours per day ramping up to 50% intensity. And eventually meet my finally lighting schedule over 2 weeks (this is also a good time to test your lighting with par meters to see what adjustments to schedule or lights may need to be made)

Diversify bacteria (usually 1 week after stating light schedule I do this till I feel my tank is ready for fish and coral roughly 3-5 weeks)
- add 1 piece of carefully selected live rock to the sump or a few pieces of carefully selected live rubble. I take 1 cup of live sand taken from one of my other tanks or a friends tank that I trust to not carry things in the sand I don't want. I add the cup of live sand to the rest of my sand. I now add clean up crew whatever that may be for you. At this stage I do 1x20% water change and commence 10% weekly water changes. I also start to ghost feed the tank at this stage starting small and ramping up, slowly preparing the tank for stocking and regular feeding. This also helps feed the clean up crew as well.

Start to stock the tank (SLOWLY)
Pretty self explanatory I assume.

OP
OP
Sunny Goold

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind you everyone has different ways of doing things, these are just how I do it. Best thing you can do is ask on here, and read online and decide what sounds best to you.

Start to stock the tank (SLOWLY)
Pretty self explanatory I assume.

Oh this is wonderful! Thanks for taking the time!

I hadn't written down a plan but everything you mentioned early on was what I was thinking - down to the shrimp. Now I can just follow this ;) Yay - and yep I am going to stock it VERY slow.

The adding the live rock / rubble is something I'm going to consider for a while. I am sort of doing everything to keep pests out but then I also want diversity. Your method seems like a really good way of balancing the two concerns. I'm going to quarantine where I can but stilll - introducing pods and chaeto are easy ways to introduce a pest. Also QTing coral for 76 days with no fish to protect against Ich seems a bit much and it can't be good for the coral. So many conflicting opinions.

My preference (at this stage) is also to use some live sand and two little fishies refugite.

Anyhow I have time to settle on my method and I will probably just follow your strategy and have the system running for a long period without fish and hope I keep the system free of any nasty pests.

Thanks again ;)

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome man, I hear you on the trying to keep it as pest free as possible. I've tried this quiet a few times before. The trick I've found is small safe introductions that's why carefully selected live rock. Once you have one small piece of live rock all the beneficial and diverse bacteria and life with it will spread. With the cheato your right but you can literally add the smallest amount check it carefully and just let it grow out absorbing the nutrients in the tank after the initial cycle. But it's food for thought, it helps lessen the effects of getting crap like Dino and diatoms. Also the main point of how I do a dead rock cycle is take longer with it. Give your tank the best chance to adapt and adjust supporting life and things should go well for you. Your on pretty good track so far it will all come together well for you.

OP
OP
Sunny Goold

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update. Well this one is bad - I smashed my car on the weekend (actually on the way to the Aquarium store) so there's another delay. All good. And no I didn't get to the shop - came home in the tow truck. No injuries. In other news my lights are doing a really great job on my mates tank - so I'm happy about that ;)

OP
OP
Sunny Goold

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few goodies for the tank this week

Really wanted to get the Fauna Marin Amins for a while
Plus I'm excited to try some more Brightwell products with their Kalk (with Mg and Sr) plus their Replinish for all the other trace except iodine (won't worry about that one)

IMG_20200212_202653.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back