Sunset millepora 2 different, color bases

LordsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 18, 2024
Messages
34
Reaction score
44
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
New Mexico
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone,
more of a curiosity, I recently picked up what was named as a sunset millipora mini colony from my LFS (I imagine its maricultured but missing the little clear tag, so maybe not) it appears to have two different color bases, wondering if that’s how some Millis are or if they glued two different pieces together, thinking they were the same or not. Now that it’s under leds in my tank I bet the colors will start to change, just wondering if any of you know or have seen this. Thanks

IMG_5392.jpeg IMG_5393.jpeg
 
Any update on the color change? I think some corals can vary in color based on different paremeters, i.e. although it's all kind of located in one spot, there may be some shadowing from the corals above changing it's received light etc.
 
Any update on the color change? I think some corals can vary in color based on different paremeters, i.e. although it's all kind of located in one spot, there may be some shadowing from the corals above changing it's received light etc.
not yet, but I think I have only had it a little over a month, and the colors are getting a little more solid but still has the two tone. Yeah I thought that after I posted, wherever it was before me, it was probably half shaded. I took a picture of it today. Thank you!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5598.jpeg
    IMG_5598.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5605.jpeg
    IMG_5605.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 108
Wow! The second shot you provided this time REALLY shows the color change.
 
Maricultured operations often put 2 or 3 frags on the plug before they put them in the ocean. IF they all grow you can get two or three colonies off one cement base. I presume this is what is going on?
 
Maricultured operations often put 2 or 3 frags on the plug before they put them in the ocean. IF they all grow you can get two or three colonies off one cement base. I presume this is what is going on?
I see, that makes sense! Thank you very much!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new