Super cloudy water column

cressman90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a little background on my situation, I have a 40g breeder that I am using as my display and After qt 2 clownfish I noticed that they had some stringy white stool which I believe was due to the food I was feeding them and dosed general cure into my display tank. At the time I was going to do a fowlr tank. Now I am getting everything ready to be a reef tank After the doing the dosing I ran carbon for almost a week and did a 25% water change per instructions for general cure. Now I am battling cloudiness in the tank and seeing small particles flowing in the water. It's been 2 weeks after the initial cloudiness, I have done two water changes both at roughly 25%. After each water change the water goes back to being super cloudy within a few days. I tested my parameters last night the are as followed.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5-10ppm
Ph: 7.8
Salinity: 1.025 or 35 sg
Kh: 10-10.5
Temp:78F

I currently don't have any tests for Calcium or Magnesium. I do plan on getting them because I plan on starting a zoanthid colony in my tank. I don't know if it makes a difference I am running abi blue/white 12w par 38 for 12hrs a day. I will be reducing my light schedule just to ensure its not an algae/bacteria bloom. I am using polyfil as a water polisher and an Aquaclear 70 along with a hydor 3rd gen power head for water flow. I did notice that when I have the hydor unplugged the water clears up. I will also lower the flow on my hob and see if that helps. I mix my own saltwater. I currently get ro water from my lfs and then mix with instant ocean. I tend to mix more than I remove. And the mix that I don't use I keep in my brute water mix can and whenever I get more water I just add to it. I do plan to empty my mix can and clean it out. The picture attached is after a water change.

PXL_20201206_213226047.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[40G breeder that I am using as my display and After qt 2 clownfish I noticed that they had some stringy white stool which I believe was due to the food I was feeding them and dosed general cure into my display tank. At the time I was going to do a fowlr tank. Now I am getting everything ready to be a reef tank After the doing the dosing I ran carbon for almost a week and did a 25% water change per instructions for general cure. ]

I looked at your two threads and understood you were FOWLR with a 10G tank.

Tank set up less than 8 weeks. Did I understand that stringy white fish poop caused you to dose? Help me to understand what is happening and in particular “What are you dosing to this tank”?

OP
OP
C

cressman90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed the tank with general cure after reading multiple threads of how I could treat the stringy poop, and I haven't seen it in roughly 3 weeks. The only thing I have done since the one treatment has been weekly 25% water change and, changed the location of the hydor power head.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General Cure is metronidazole.

[Metronidazole is an antibiotic, so the logical conclusion would be, that it DOES kill your biological filter when used in the aquarium.]

[In “stringy white poop” the feces will stick to the fish and trail behind it in thin clear or white threads with brown patches. Stringy clear or white poop CAN rarely be mucus from severely infected intestines. Probably 90% of the time it means nothing. White poop or clear poop in fish is like diarrhea in humans. It is quite common and typically not a cause for concern.]

[I don’t like to diagnose a fish as having anything wrong with it if it ONLY has clear or white poop. I tend to wait till another symptom appears. Six out of the seven fish shown in this article which have white stringy poop have no associated symptoms and are probably just fine (one has Malawi bloat). These other associated symptoms include:]

OP
OP
C

cressman90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, I may have overreacted on the treatment and jumped the gun early as I've read somewhere that certain foods can cause stringy white poop. And I am unsure if that was the case, my clowns never stop wanting to eat and never ate when offered food. What I feed them is new life spectrum marine pellets. And I feel that I should have asked my lfs what they fed. Between my fresh water tanks and salt water if memory serves me right cycled the fastest. My last freshwater tank and the fowlr I dosed dr. Tims ammonia. I will be getting the car and mg test kits soon so that I can see where it sits to see if I may have an imbalance of those elements. Also my lfs does testing of water. And I will see if my results are the same or different.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back