SUPER easy DIY algae scrubber

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've always loved refugiums for the 'natural' aspect they add to our life support systems but I've always been intrigued by algae scubbers and how efficient they are at nutrient export. I'm not one to go spend a whole bunch of money on new tech but I love using scraps around my house.

Well, for this project I already had laying around:

• Cheapo 70gph pump
  • Vinyl tubing
  • PVC pipe
  • Zip ties
  • LED light
It's ugly as sin but I want to see if it will grow algae... If it does I'll try to make a more aesthetic version. All I did was cut a slit in the vinyl tubing and use zip ties to hold the plastic in place. :p

qIxtvtw.jpg

3NxyfUo.jpg

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should work just fine. Proper flow (not sure about GPH) is crucial. One issue you might be facing is algae growing on the slit, causing water flow disruption and killing off algae. You might need to shade that area.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should work just fine. Proper flow (not sure about GPH) is crucial. One issue you might be facing is algae growing on the slit, causing water flow disruption and killing off algae. You might need to shade that area.

Good point, I didn't think about algae growing in the tubing. Hrm. Well this is just a prototype. :p

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it works out!! For as simple as it was it would be very exciting hehe.

Just squeezed some left over aquarium silicone in there. :)

Another method to try is..... Heat up that end on a fire stove, when hot enough, squeeze with pliers and hold until it cools down. As easy as pie :p

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend flow is 25-35 gph per linear inch, I am running my 10 inch screen at 250 gph. I will be curious what type of Algae this grows. You really want either hair algae or uvla. I am no expert at these so I will be curious to follow.

20171028_171717.jpg

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely need to rough up the screen - the smooth plastic material will not hold on to any growth very well, and it will take a while for initial growth to adhere without roughing it up. At a minimum you should take a wire brush to it to take the "shine" off the mesh.

The sliced tube is going to be problematic eventually - it restricts flow, and you're already pretty low on that. One way to help is to cut the mesh material out like shown on this page: http://algaescrubber.zohosites.com/clog-prevention.html

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend flow is 25-35 gph per linear inch, I am running my 10 inch screen at 250 gph. I will be curious what type of Algae this grows. You really want either hair algae or uvla. I am no expert at these so I will be curious to follow.

20171028_171717.jpg

Wow I definitely do not have enough flow! I have about 7 gallons per inch. Oh well, it will be interesting to see if anything grows at all... How long did it take for your algae to start growing?

You definitely need to rough up the screen - the smooth plastic material will not hold on to any growth very well, and it will take a while for initial growth to adhere without roughing it up. At a minimum you should take a wire brush to it to take the "shine" off the mesh.

The sliced tube is going to be problematic eventually - it restricts flow, and you're already pretty low on that. One way to help is to cut the mesh material out like shown on this page: http://algaescrubber.zohosites.com/clog-prevention.html

I roughed it up pretty good with 50 grit sandpaper. Do you think that was sufficient?

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sandpaper only gets the top surface, but not down into the holes. When you remove algae, if it's attached securely in the holes, then it won't easily come out of there and it will re-grow quickly. If the holes are smooth, then algae will pull away pretty easily and it will take longer to recover.

Anyways, your is a pretty good one for a simple test to see if you like what it does, just leave it as is and if you decide it looks promising, you're not out much $$ to re-do it.

Here's my little tutorial on making screens, just for your enjoyment

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a cover for mine with some acrylic sheets and zip ties. I painted the top 2 inches to shade from the light to prevent algae from slowing flow.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back