Super Easy or 'Pest' Coral Sarcothelia Won't Smother?

Adiantum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had experience with corals fighting off smothering by "blue clove polyps," i.e. Sarcothelia sp. corals? Or things that are not really prone to being overtaken by this particular coral? I want to put some in a jar with some light and let them go wild. But it'd be nice to have something else in there for some other color or interest. I know Sarcothelia has a reputation for growing over other corals and killing them. Are there any things that could compete as equally weedy or aggressive?

I'm thinking maybe yellow Parazoanthus, GSP or purple star polyps, waving hand Anthelia, Xenia, or some sort of mushroom as possibilities. I want things to just be weedy and grow wild and not need much attention. I want to grow Sarcothelia but not in a tank with anything else or much of anything else.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Has anyone had experience with corals fighting off smothering by "blue clove polyps," i.e. Sarcothelia sp. corals? Or things that are not really prone to being overtaken by this particular coral? I want to put some in a jar with some light and let them go wild. But it'd be nice to have something else in there for some other color or interest. I know Sarcothelia has a reputation for growing over other corals and killing them. Are there any things that could compete as equally weedy or aggressive?

I'm thinking maybe yellow Parazoanthus, GSP or purple star polyps, waving hand Anthelia, Xenia, or some sort of mushroom as possibilities. I want things to just be weedy and grow wild and not need much attention. I want to grow Sarcothelia but not in a tank with anything else or much of anything else.
xenia and poccilipora

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back