Super glue and calcium chloride

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read online that there are multiple benefits to adding either calcium chloride or baking soda to super glue and was wondering if anyone had any experience with doing so.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried it once with baking soda, didn’t seem to do anything but a mess tbh.

If you’re looking for an accelerator, you can try insta-set by BSI, it works really well - but remember to dip the coral quickly after, because it gets hot due to the chemical reaction.

You can also simply spray some water, it isn’t as quick as the Insta-set but it does work.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never tried it, but I did just try the BRS instant set spray for glue, and that is fantastic. It works exactly as claimed and has your ready to go on each contact point in like 10 seconds. That is, if you're not working under water. I would definitely rather do this than make a mixture of glue and other components.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never tried it, but I did just try the BRS instant set spray for glue, and that is fantastic. It works exactly as claimed and has your ready to go on each contact point in like 10 seconds. That is, if you're not working under water. I would definitely rather do this than make a mixture of glue and other components.
BRS insta-set is a rebranded BSI Insta-set, and yes - it works really, really well.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
baking soda (and many other things - moisture) can accelerate cyanoacrylate curing. Sometimes this can be useful.

dave001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking soda will attract more moisture to the Union, that's what cures it. Also why it forms a skin under water almost instantly. Various spray accelerator exist, wouldn't go near a reef tank with them though!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back