super glue good enough to seal in metal?

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a nem go get sucked into my wavemaker last night. This morning he seems better. But that got me into thinking of ways to make the wavemaker nem safe.

I have an old USB fan that has a cage around it. Thinking that cage should keep things far enough from the wavemakers intake.
So in dismantling the fan cage, I stripped some old screws. So I drilled them out. As a result, in some posts, there is the end of a screw stuck in there. I covered the hole with superglue. (I plan on holding the cage together with zip ties, not screws.... no exposed metal in the tank!)

So my question is, does superglue give a good enough seal to make the tiny bit of metal in there reef safe?
Screenshot_20200406-123020_Gallery.jpg

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Superglue isn't the best option for making a water tight seal, unfortionatly. It is brittle and with just a slight flex can break the seal it may have orgininally had. In a pinch, superglue could be used as a short term solution to seal off something that is low pressure, but every time I've used it, it had eventually broke seal and began leaking again. reef safe silicone is a better choice, even on plastics, to create a leak free seal.

OP
OP
legrunt

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. ok thanks for that. Unfortunately I've already stuck the whole thing in.
I guess the next time I take it out for cleaning, I should remember to check if there is any rust or expansion or whatever...

In the meantime, any idea if there exists a ready made soft animal shield for the jebao slw10?

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a nem go get sucked into my wavemaker last night. This morning he seems better. But that got me into thinking of ways to make the wavemaker nem safe.

I have an old USB fan that has a cage around it. Thinking that cage should keep things far enough from the wavemakers intake.
So in dismantling the fan cage, I stripped some old screws. So I drilled them out. As a result, in some posts, there is the end of a screw stuck in there. I covered the hole with superglue. (I plan on holding the cage together with zip ties, not screws.... no exposed metal in the tank!)

So my question is, does superglue give a good enough seal to make the tiny bit of metal in there reef safe?
Screenshot_20200406-123020_Gallery.jpg
If you have aquarium silicone. You could try to seal it that way. Especially, if you do not care how ugly it would look.

OP
OP
legrunt

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update... I took the whole fan cage shield out. It was just nagging me. Instead, i took some leftover mesh (from the red sea diy screen top), rolled it up and made a shield out of that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back