Super low mag?

Mattj815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So until recently I rarely tested magnesium. Ive been reading some more lately and decided to make it a point to test more often.

As of a few days ago I was showing around 600. Ive read of innacurate tests but got it twice on salifert kit. So I went out and bought brightwells mag supplement. I started slow, 15 ml the first day and 10 the day after that.

I just tested again and was around 1100. My calc and alk are good at 420 and 8.3. Should I get a different kit to confirm? Is it possible for my tank to just be rating thru mag like this? Ive read that some signs are no coralline which I barely have and some corals receding. My torches arent what they used to be. Most stuff is ok.

Cant keep and sps or a chalice for the life of me.

Should I keep dosing until my salifert kit reads ok?

OP
OP
M

Mattj815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rely on salifert hands down. sounds like you simply have low magnesium. I would first suspect the salt, what brand of salt are you using for water changes?

Ive been using Red sea coral pro since the beginning. Tanks is almost 9 months old.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trust salifert mag test ...if you've never tested for mag it is possible it went that low and could explain your corals.. I would keep adding and testing and maybe get a sample of water too lfs and let them check as well ..just for a second opinion ....

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using Red sea coral pro since the beginning. Tanks is almost 9 months old.
Depending on how much and how often you do a wc and how many corals you have ...you might not be replenishing it , even with red sea pro ..are you dosing calc alk mag .?

OP
OP
M

Mattj815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a wc about every week and a half to two weeks. I have a decent amount of coral in a 40 cube I guess. Most lps and softies.

I dont dose anything except kalk and as of very recently, mag. Ive been looking into 2 part was trying to decide if I needed it.

I was getting poor results with api alk kit. So bought a Hanna alk tester and my alk has been good ever since using that.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can raise mag 100ppm safely per day , I like too keep mine around 1400 ...and often dose 75-100ml Triton mag in one go ...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back