Super low UV flow rates

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my UV plumbed, running off a manifold off the return. I did a flow check with the return pump running at 100% and the manifold valve open all the way, and I didn’t even get the 400gph required for 90k μw/cm^2. I think I’m just under 300gph

Who knows where I’m at…it’s a guess at this point.

I really wanted this to work without having to plumb another pump, which I have.

I’m assuming I’m killing my phyto population. But would frequent dosing cancel the kill rate out?
IMG_4520.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just means you're running a higher sterilization level. You can always upgrade your return pump? Btw, you'll want to replace those steel clamps with plastic ones (zip ties, etc.) as they'll soon rust.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I have them elsewhere and no rust as of yet.

I had taken that subject up with CADE when I first got the tank and they said they had been running stainless steel clamps and never saw any rust. However, I keep an eye on them (I have others) and can quickly change if needed

Regarding the larger pump, yes of course I could do that but I’m limited by my return pump chamber size. I have a Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon, the 60w and it just about fills the space. I had to return the larger Red Dragon because it was too big

I have a smaller 25w Red Dragon that I could place just under the UV in the sump to draw from. That may be what I do

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back