Super odd Bristletooth tang attacking tricolor fairy wrasse

daryl213

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So something super bizarre is going on between my newly added tricolor fairy wrasse and bristletooth tang… so a few days ago I added a new member to the tank which is a tricolor fairy wrasse during the day everyone is happy and no signs of aggression but when the lights go off during the night my bristle tooth tang would chase and attack my new fairy wrasse so aggressively and try to attack him with his spikes non stop until my wrasse is able to hide between a corner of my tank… I added new rock work to help have more hiding spaces for the wrasse and even changed the rock work design but it didn’t matter the tang would still aggressively attack my wrasse only during lights out but when the lights are in they are all swimming with no issues… can anyone tell me what is going on here?!?!

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse is likely encroaching on the tang at night time when it's looking for a place to hide/bury. This should subside with time provided the tang doesn't cause serious injuries to the wrasse. Try a small flexible kids mirror mounted on the outside of the tank with tape or blu tac to distract the tang.

Is there a sand bed for the wrasse?

How big is the tank?

What other fish are there?

OP
OP
D

daryl213

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse is likely encroaching on the tang at night time when it's looking for a place to hide/bury. This should subside with time provided the tang doesn't cause serious injuries to the wrasse. Try a small flexible kids mirror mounted on the outside of the tank with tape or blu tac to distract the tang.

Is there a sand bed for the wrasse?

How big is the tank?

What other fish are there?
The tank is about 45 gallons the other fish I have are diamond goby, bicolor blenny, anthias and one clownfish the tang does not do anything to the other fish at all even if they get too close to the areas where the tang resides… but during lights out he would aggressively chase the wrasse non stop and yes I do have sand bed but for some weird reason the tang only goes after that wrasse and not after the anthias nor the clown or blenny or goby

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang just doesn't like it, just like people don't want some people near them. Their mere presence can be annoying, just like my (insert almost anyone).

The small tank wouldn't be helping, it may be a bit overstocked, especially with a territorial fish like a tang.

This may come down to which fish you like more, and rehome the other.

OP
OP
D

daryl213

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang just doesn't like it, just like people don't want some people near them. Their mere presence can be annoying, just like my (insert almost anyone).

The small tank wouldn't be helping, it may be a bit overstocked, especially with a territorial fish like a tang.

This may come down to which fish you like more, and rehome the other.
Ahh dang I was afraid that is the cause of it… I was hoping it would have been different since during the day they are all very friendly toward one another and there is no fighting or chasing going on and only occurring during night time when lights are off… literally once lights turn off they the tang just goes straight for him it’s crazy to see the sudden difference in demeanor from ramp down to darkness and immediate attack mode…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back