Supplemental light for kessil ap9x

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys, does anyone use kessil ap9x in combination with led bars? which bars do you use? I have two kessil ap9x on a full sps 48x24x24” reef tank. i measured the par and they are really good values for my sps. so i'm wondering if it's really necessary to add a fill light, as sps love diffuse light. if necessary, which Led bars do you recommend? two reefbrites or two orpheks? I keep my kessils 10 "away from the surface of the water. with this height which Led bars would be more suitable?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your colonies get big and you notice coral dying or lightening on the undersides or where shadows occur, that's when LED bars, especially with the light coming in at an angle, help.

I had a couple corals shadow themselves, and added T5's. Definitely helped.

OP
OP
Peppe

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the ap9x for two days, so I still don't know how corals will respond to the new light. yes, the t5s help a lot, but I would like to avoid them because of the tube change and the heat

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the ap9x for two days, so I still don't know how corals will respond to the new light. yes, the t5s help a lot, but I would like to avoid them because of the tube change and the heat
t5's or led strips will help with coverage--if needed. I use both, think T5's grow coral faster with less acclimation issues.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS found that Reefbrites are recommended to be mounted at around 10", so that's a good fit. I recently got to see RB Actinics in person and the coral pop is real. I think it would be great with the AP9x. You should have enough white LEDs to prevent the windex blue looking tank, unless that's what you want.

OP
OP
Peppe

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS found that Reefbrites are recommended to be mounted at around 10", so that's a good fit. I recently got to see RB Actinics in person and the coral pop is real. I think it would be great with the AP9x. You should have enough white LEDs to prevent the windex blue looking tank, unless that's what you want.
What do you mean with “rb actinic”?

unfortunately here in Italy reefbrite doesn’t exisit

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean with “rb actinic”?

unfortunately here in Italy reefbrite doesn’t exisit
I think reefbrites are 420 and 450 for spectrum, double check, and then get a led that has spectrum... really don't need LED lenses, but can use them, reefbrite uses a reflector which is better for coverage.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think reefbrites are 420 and 450 for spectrum, double check, and then get a led that has spectrum... really don't need LED lenses, but can use them, reefbrite uses a reflector which is better for coverage.
450 is allegedly the right spectrum for the pop. Ecotecg Radions have their peak around 450, too. Kessil just covers everything. Lol. I'm a huge believer in having a wide spectrum, but Reefbrites and Radions have a lot more power at 450 compared to Kessil, I presume.

OP
OP
Peppe

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbrite Actinics. That is the all blue color. If you contact the company, they might ship you something if they have a compatible power supply.
I tried to contact them, but reefbrite replied to me saying they cannot ship to Italy. why is reefbrite unable to do anything in Europe?

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely due to the cost and the inability to have quality control. If something is messed up, it'll cost them a fortune to replace or fix the issue. Also, I'm not sure what style electrical plug you have in Italy, so I'm not sure if Reefbrite has the capability of using that style of plug.

OP
OP
Peppe

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely due to the cost and the inability to have quality control. If something is messed up, it'll cost them a fortune to replace or fix the issue. Also, I'm not sure what style electrical plug you have in Italy, so I'm not sure if Reefbrite has the capability of using that style of plug.
I've always liked reefbrite bars. how can we make it possible for the company to purchase those bars also in Italy? this is the plug we have in Italy and therefore in Europe

Attachments

• 16FC46BF-962D-4C7E-BDB1-53FAC7778FC7.jpeg
    16FC46BF-962D-4C7E-BDB1-53FAC7778FC7.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 22
  • BAFF9138-39C8-4023-9B49-F8F19D1E98DA.jpeg
    BAFF9138-39C8-4023-9B49-F8F19D1E98DA.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 24

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked reefbrite bars. how can we make it possible for the company to purchase those bars also in Italy? this is the plug we have in Italy and therefore in Europe
I think you would have to have someone ship the Reefbrite strips to you from the United States. You will also have to find an adapter to fit the plugs or cut and rewire it to a new plug. I'm not good with electrical, so I would reach out elsewhere to find out how practical it could be. I don't see why it wouldn't work unless Europe has a severely different power network than the US.

OP
OP
Peppe

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would have to have someone ship the Reefbrite strips to you from the United States. You will also have to find an adapter to fit the plugs or cut and rewire it to a new plug. I'm not good with electrical, so I would reach out elsewhere to find out how practical it could be. I don't see why it wouldn't work unless Europe has a severely different power network than the US.
i already have an adapter. the problem is finding who is shipping and understanding what the final costs are for me.

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to bring my RB 48" strips out of retirement. I am getting some shadowing that might be able to be helped. Having a euro-braced tank doesn't help either. I was pondering using some A80 Tuna Blues to try and fill in that gap in the missile but have not worked out how best to do it.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i already have an adapter. the problem is finding who is shipping and understanding what the final costs are for me.
Pepe what is your volts and hrtz? I would assume in Italy 240v 50h which I'm not certain on reef Brite specifically but since they're an American company the drivers they use will most likely be 120v 60h which wouldn't work in your country.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've only been running the Kessils for 2 days I would give them atleast 6 months keeping an eye on the corals growth and then determine if you really are going to benefit from adding bars.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back