Surprise Tank

Cheesus

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Messages
285
Reaction score
176
Location
Cedar Rapids
What state or country do you live in
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!

I am wanting to surprise my wife with an AIO.

The main question I have is, her office is on the second floor of our home. Would a 40g be too much weight if I placed on exterior walls?
The house was built in 84, no idea on the direction of the floor joists. Can't get the original plans.

Thanks!
 
40 gallons, no problem at all. I’ve had 125 on a second floor 🙂
 
Hard to be sure without being there, but 40 gallons isn't that much weight.....40*8.6=344 pounds. Like a couple of people standing together.

If you wanna be SUPER safe (which might be overkill) and you can get a read on which way the floor joists are oriented, try to make the tank straddle two joists.
 
Hard to be sure without being there, but 40 gallons isn't that much weight.....40*8.6=344 pounds. Like a couple of people standing together.

If you wanna be SUPER safe (which might be overkill) and you can get a read on which way the floor joists are oriented, try to make the tank straddle two joists.
Im not even sure how to get a good read on what way they are oriented. There would be no way to actually see them without some cutting.
 
Hey Everyone!

I am wanting to surprise my wife with an AIO.

The main question I have is, her office is on the second floor of our home. Would a 40g be too much weight if I placed on exterior walls?
The house was built in 84, no idea on the direction of the floor joists. Can't get the original plans.

Thanks!
If the floor cannot hold say 400lbs, (tank weight) then 2 adults on couch would comprise it as well, so I would think that 40 is just fine.

If it’s any value, I do 80g.

What a fantastic surprise!
IMG_1716.jpeg
 
If the floor cannot hold say 400lbs, (tank weight) then 2 adults on couch would comprise it as well, so I would think that 40 is just fine.

If it’s any value, I do 80g.

What a fantastic surprise!
Yeah that is a fair point.

Since we just moved there has been a lot of talk about my incoming SPS tank..and she said "I miss the anemones"

So figured that would be a fun gift.
 
Im not even sure how to get a good read on what way they are oriented. There would be no way to actually see them without some cutting.
Pulling up the carpet/padding in one corner (assuming you have carpet) of the room might let you see the nail pattern in the wood subfloor.

You can also try using a stud finder if you have a wood floor.....it should be able to sense the nail pattern as well.
 
Pulling up the carpet/padding in one corner (assuming you have carpet) of the room might let you see the nail pattern in the wood subfloor.

You can also try using a stud finder if you have a wood floor.....it should be able to sense the nail pattern as well.
Its glue down LVP and just put that down. The underlayment is almost like a plywood over the plywood subfloor.

I wish I would have thought of it when I was putting the floor in lol
 
Its glue down LVP and just put that down. The underlayment is almost like a plywood over the plywood subfloor.

I wish I would have thought of it when I was putting the floor in lol
Try the stud finder then....it should work.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new