Susan's RSM 250

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I don't have anything really to add yet but figured I'd start my build thread. I just got a RSM c250 brand new, never used, from Craigs list. Tank was too heavy for the guy who bought it so I got a super deal. Watched it for well over a month and when he lowered the price even more, I jumped! This is the tank. I can only hope mine will look so great!

Right now, I'm composing my lists and figuring out the dry rock. Will probably get that ordered in next day or two. And the RO unit and ATO. Going to test my 10 gal tank that has been sitting outside for a long time to see if it holds water to use for a refugium (sp?).

Will probably start ordering stuff next week or so.

max-c-250-black_zpsiggjujjx.png

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, ordered my rock.
50 lb box of Marco Rock with cement
15 lbs pukani dry rock from BRS
5 lbs Tonga flat shelf.

Hopefully by end of week, I'll have rocks to play with! This weekend's goal is to move a corner desk out of my office and shift the rest of the furniture around to make room for my new toy. Also want to take the tank sump apart so I know how it goes together--was already assembled. And maybe fill with water and do a test of all equipment. Meanwhile, got an Amazon cart full of "stuff". Need to decide on live sand and ow much next.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress today but nothing to show except a distorous office and dining room! The tank is going in my office as this is where I spend most of my day as I'm a writer, and there isn't anyone else to really enjoy it except when kids come to visit, or friends. My office is 10x10 and has enough furniture to fill the family room where I once made my office. So, first thing on the agenda:
  1. Tear down the corner desk as it is too big to go out the door. Check!
  2. Move huge exec desk around so I can see the aquarium without looking over my monitors. Check!
  3. Move a hutch/filing cabinet unit to other wall so I could reposition desk. Check!
  4. Move in aquarium stand. Check!
Oops. Not enough room between aquarium on one wall (short door wall) and the hutch I just moved and organized the printer onto.... Big Sigh. It has to go. Not a big loss as the bottom file cabinet always sticks which requires me to empty top drawer and remove. I think I eventually have to replace office furniture. Need to order a file cabinet, and maybe get a cheap bookcase as I've displaced so much office stuff by losing 2 pieces of furniture. Guess I could force myself to do a major purge as well....
Goal for next couple days is to get office squared away as I wait for my rock and make my mock up of my display for rocks
20161204_191903_zpssib4ievs.jpg
20161204_191951_zpsxxfn3lsu.jpg

View from door of desks and hutches View from desk to future aquarium

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along!!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Revhtree! I swear it's a process. Or maybe an avalanche.... Tomorrow, I gather my rock equipment, make my display form our of foam board and tap my fingers impatiently for first batch of rock on Wednesday.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoo hooo!!! I haz rok!!! Well, I have 15 lbs of BRS pukani and 3 lbs tonga shelf. 50 lbs due on Friday but I can look and see possibilities..... Goal is to get tank into house and onto stand by Friday. Now to figure out how much and from where to order live sand...
20161206_190501_001_zpsopfaftyl.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to move tank into house tonight. Won't go up onto stand until I do a test and clean it out. Played with rocks today.
20161208_133141_zps0cwqfq9e.jpg

what I have so far. Lots of caves and swim throughs, lots of crannies and nooks. Debating the use of pvc pipe risers or just rock on bare glass with sand added after. Will cement some pieces but not all as I want it easy to take apart if needed.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is in my office!!! Received some stuff from amazon today, more Sunday and Monday. The RO I ordered won't be here for another week. Have to decide if I should find one that will get here faster (amazon prime), or find a different water source for the initial fill. Goal for weekend is to get rocks in
20161209_234632_zps9uw2c6me.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, here is what I'm ending up with. No way could I get the rocks arranged in my tank as my practice. For one, my measurements got messed up on the table--backdrop moved or something so what i had did not fit... Took a while but I think I'm happy. Sand and salt come Tue. Will add the sand, then see what pieces need cementing. Most are solid. 2 might need to be anchored (shelf and one under it. But I'll wait for the sand as that will also help stabilize. The rocks move easy on a glass bottom.

One of the pumps I ordered to mix salt arrived with the casing broken. Bummer....

Here is the tank without water or sand.
20161211_194659_zpsm15rmqhr.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water and sand came in today! And the RO/DI unit. Need to go get a pump to pump water into tank when it's ready. Ordered one from Amazon and it arrived broken :(. Tomorrow, I'll cement the two rocks I think need it, start making water, and maybe Wed or Thur I'll be ready to put in the sand followed by water.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what a process and slow, but of course I knew that going in! Got the RODI hooked up out back. Got a whole 7 gal before weather turned both wet and dark. Hooked it up in garage with front hose and lines snaking beneath garage door. Used a long pvc pipe to route the waste water into and onto lawn and not just trickling down the drive--water conscious Calif. here. Not that the lawns need anymore water....

Should be able to make up some saltwater tomorrow. Don't have to heat for just going in I believe. My garbage tote is in the house so it will be room temperature or close.

Hoping tomorrow I can get sand and water in! Will get all the media in place. Oh, have to wait for amazon to deliver pump to get water into tank. Fingers crossed for an early afternoon delivery...

Almost there. And then the real waiting begins...

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummers! Time for bed and I'm about 2 and a half inches short, plus need some more water in the sump before I can turn this puppy on. Running an airstone tonight. Water level not up high enough for heater. Was going to plug in my saltwater mixing heater and found it full of water... Can't be good.... Another amazon return. Will start making more RO water in the morning.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lift Off!!! Tank is up and running. Had to remove one pump, open it, fiddled and now it works. Skimmer is off as I used the Instant Ocean Bio Spira and it say no skimmer for 48 hrs. Very happy. Not sure if the sand bed is too deep. Between 2 and 3 inches. Didn't want too much over 2 but didn't want to waste the bag...
20161215_160636_001.jpg
20161215_160636_001.jpg

20161215_160636_001.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, how do I edit and get rid of an image above... Was trying to figure out doing images from computer and not photobucket (which has gone downhill)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started doing some water tests. Amonia still at 0 and nitrites at around 5. Tossed in a shrimp yesterday. Will take it out tomorrow. Starting to fall apart some. Working on figuring out which apps to use and plan my daily schedule.

Have micro bubbles. Waiting a few days for skimmer to break in and will adjust some more. If I remove the air valve, it goes nuts. Nothing in there so figure it doesn't really matter.

Temp dropped a bit overnight to 77. Not sure what I'll do as I don't have the heat on at night. Set to 62 in the house. Tonight, it's up to 80. Shifted it down just a tad and put the water cooling fans on. Will watch over the next few days and adjust as needed.

Still working on ATO. Jug I was going to use isn't going to use. Need to go to Home Depot and get a 5 gal bucket and lid, or another garbage can. Will ck amazon....

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back