Suspending food

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's the best way to prevent pellets from hitting your sand bed? I have pretty good flow that keeps most of it suspended, but a fair amount still hits the bed before the fish find it (Omega One and NLS pellets and mysis). Would alternating between flake and pellets on dry food days reduce food in the bed?

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes alternating would reduce what hits the sand bed. Flakes stay suspended until eaten or skimmed usually.

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, that's what I thought. I want them in the column, but want them to sink slower.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down on feeding dry foods altogether. Instead, feed more refrigerated, frozen or even live foods if you can. There are lots of options to try!

If sinking is a problem, then I would either use floating pellets or flakes vs sinking pellets.

Use a floating feeding ring to keep either pellets or flakes from going down the drain before the fish get to them.

What fish are you feeding? How big is the system?

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down on feeding dry foods altogether. Instead, feed more refrigerated, frozen or even live foods if you can. There are lots of options to try!

If sinking is a problem, then I would either use floating pellets or flakes vs sinking pellets.

Use a floating feeding ring to keep either pellets or flakes from going down the drain before the fish get to them.

What fish are you feeding? How big is the system?

I do want to try some live foods! Just acclimated some guppies to saltwater, however, the females died -_- So now I just have two pretty male guppies swimming around in my QT tank.

I've started alternating flakes every once in a while.

I don't have a drain for food to go down, but the floating feeding ring sounds neat!

At the moment just a couple of Ocellaris and a Potter's Angel in a 29gal with HOB filter. It's not like I'm dumping half a container of food in my tank every night, just always trying to improve. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pellets frustrate me....

ReeferMadnessfragandco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's the best way to prevent pellets from hitting your sand bed? I have pretty good flow that keeps most of it suspended, but a fair amount still hits the bed before the fish find it (Omega One and NLS pellets and mysis). Would alternating between flake and pellets on dry food days reduce food in the bed?
Just feed less! And make sure you see all get stem before adding more. May take a bit longer but will help substantially

Brice Wagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am looking for a dry food that stays in the water column longer. I am going out of town for 11 days. I'm worried my golbi isnt going to eat. I'm have trouble getting the pellets to float past him. Plus one for frozen food, it works perfectly. Is there a dried shimp or live food that would work for that amount of time?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back