parrot fish GIF
Disgusted Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have had several sea grass at my LFS , but I find them super boring to look at.
1688737055779.png

Saying that I've only seen bland brown ones in person too :face-with-tears-of-joy: . I love the green ones though!

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
1688737055779.png

Saying that I've only seen bland brown ones in person too :face-with-tears-of-joy: . I love the green ones though!
I'll snap some pics next time I'm in my LFS. They seem to usually have 1 or 2 there, usually 2 different ages.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not old. 3 months in my tank. My hope is that having multiple big mean but young wrasse grow up together will prevent aggression. It is only considered semi-aggressive by LA unlike many Thalassoma like a hardwicke so hopefully it won't be a total monster.

Attachments

• IMG_3629.jpeg
    IMG_3629.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Oh she’s a monster alright! But by far my funnest monster! Always doing fun things like pretending to be a blenny and lounging, pretending to be a goby and digging, or pretending a hermit crab is a fun toy to toss around. (She does have a smaller more mellow cousin btw, the seagrass wrasse).

Other wrasse that would handle a hardwixke are a Coris, large halichoeres, tuskfish, or possibly a two spot Māori.
My LFS does get red coris in fairly frequently. That would make a really pretty addition.
FB_IMG_1637383137500.jpg

Again, these holes along the back of the tank are where they're escaping. I'm going to cut pieces of screen to close them off before anyone else escapes and before anyone new is added.
This tank has become a love/hate relationship. It loves to hate me and I hate to love it bc as soon as I do, she smacks me with something else.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not old. 3 months in my tank. My hope is that having multiple big mean but young wrasse grow up together will prevent aggression. It is only considered semi-aggressive by LA unlike many Thalassoma like a hardwicke so hopefully it won't be a total monster.
Never had other wrasse with mine. She didnt care about other tank mates though, dottyback, clowns, tang, i forgot who all i had...

My solar hates other wrasse. :loudly-crying-face:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS does get red coris in fairly frequently. That would make a really pretty addition.
FB_IMG_1637383137500.jpg

Again, these holes along the back of the tank are where they're escaping. I'm going to cut pieces of screen to close them off before anyone else escapes and before anyone new is added.
This tank has become a love/hate relationship. It loves to hate me and I hate to love it bc as soon as I do, she smacks me with something else.
Cool tank shape! Good call blocking those holes off with screen. Wrasse look for ways to escape they're too smart for their own good.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FB_IMG_1637383137500.jpg

Interesting layout. That screams a FW tank design or a hob type setup. Lots of holes tho, lol.

P.S. go with a coris gaimard. I love mine and it swims mainly in the lower half of the tank.

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Interesting layout. That screams a FW tank design or a hob type setup. Lots of holes tho, lol.

P.S. go with a coris gaimard. I love mine and it swims mainly in the lower half of the tank.
I was just saying that to @Crabby48 when he was over last. It's 1000% a FW setup. There are 3 almost solid covers that go on top, no clue how it was "supposed" to be lit.

I bought the tank used for $300. Had piranhas and a giant plecco that looked like a dinosaur.
I have a HOB Reef Octopus 2000 in through the rectangular opening on the left

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I do love my red coris, C gaimard. Just wish it would grow up!
If I see one at my lfs next time I'm in, he's mine.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just saying that to @Crabby48 when he was over last. It's 1000% a FW setup. There are 3 almost solid covers that go on top, no clue how it was "supposed" to be lit.

I bought the tank used for $300. Had piranhas and a giant plecco that looked like a dinosaur.
I have a HOB Reef Octopus 2000 in through the rectangular opening on the left
'Supposed to be lit barely', lol. I did fw discus for years (between reef tanks) and unlike reef tanks they are either lit by a single or dual t5's or the new stuff is just a super thin led strip.

I had a 4ft 110 similar to yours in my FW era just rectangular instead of semi hexagonal. No more 30" high tanks for me, at 5'11" I'm too short to work on them without swimming.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love my red coris, C gaimard. Just wish it would grow up!
It will, lol. I got my current one nearly transitioned, about 18 months ago. Previous one I had 3-4 years ago was a juvenile and took over a year to begin to transition.

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
'Supposed to be lit barely', lol. I did fw discus for years (between reef tanks) and unlike reef tanks they are either lit by a single or dual t5's or the new stuff is just a super thin led strip.

I had a 4ft 110 similar to yours in my FW era just rectangular instead of semi hexagonal. No more 30" high tanks for me, at 5'11" I'm too short to work on them without swimming.
Ohhhh I know. I nearly swim in there everytime I need to work on it. I'm 5'5" and stand on the top rung of my step ladder on tippy toes.
Osha approved, obviously.

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Red coris is a rock flipper 4 sure once grown...;)never again...:rolleyes:
All my rocks are huge, not even Jello can flip anything.
Another reason I feel like the ribbon would do well in there, also.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red coris is a rock flipper 4 sure once grown...;)never again...:rolleyes:
With an engineer goby, 2 burrowing eels, a “rockmover” wrasse, and oddly enough a large maroon clown the coris wrasse is the least of my rock worries.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 80 75.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back