Swabbie, the affordable self cleaning head!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

reefervet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome, props to you guys for bringing something affordable like this to hobbyists. I will be ordering one for my ATB Medium once I measure the lid size unless you guys or someone knows off hand.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a BK / Royal Exclusiv Alpha Cone 250 - any idea what size I would need?

-Does the lid come with predrilled holes on top (as the stock skimmer cup would?

-How long is the power cord coming off of the lid?

Thanks so much - looks like a very cool product.

OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a BK / Royal Exclusiv Alpha Cone 250 - any idea what size I would need?

-Does the lid come with predrilled holes on top (as the stock skimmer cup would?

-How long is the power cord coming off of the lid?

Thanks so much - looks like a very cool product.

250mm/10" is your cup size :)

All lids are made with thick 3/8" material and have holes drilled predrilled for air vent.

The power cord is 8' long.

Hogall

Yes, that's me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does the wiper last? Sorry for the stupid question. BTW, just placed an order in :D

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does the wiper last? Sorry for the stupid question. BTW, just placed an order in :D
Hi Dennis, I saw it come through. Thank you!

Wiper is made from dense but flexible silicone. I expect many years of continuous duty. We haven't been able to wear one out yet.

Oldreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running mine in a skimmer with ozone. That should be a good test for the wiper. I'll post pictures of mine over the weekend.

OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running mine in a skimmer with ozone. That should be a good test for the wiper. I'll post pictures of mine over the weekend.

Wait until you see our new ozone reactor.........

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really great to see one come out with a decent price point guys, props!

Wish I had the clearance for one, I'd be all over it!

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DOH!! I don't think I have the clearance as well! How tall is the actual unit? Could you measure it from the top of the lid to the top of the actual unit?

OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot's of custom sized Swabbies going out this week!

wfournier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went all out and picked up one (the last one?) of the demo skimmers with the swabbie, so far it looks cool but I really haven't had much of a chance to see how it will work long term as I set it up over lunch today. Did have an issue getting the PSK-2500 going again after it had been in there for a little, any thoughts on that?

Edit: Oh yeah and one thought on a possible improvement would be to make a small flat on the shaft that holds the squeegee to allow it to clamp a little better. Not sure if this will be necessary but that was the one area I was a little concerned about when I put the whole thing together as I didn't want to over tighten the screw that holds it, but if didn't seem as tight as I would have liked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wfournier, please send us an email with your phone number and the best time to call: [email protected] so we can talk you through the setup. If you have a pump issue it is most likely due to the yellow impeller bushing coming loose during shipping, it is an easy fix but much easier to explain over the phone.

re: screw We haven't had and issues yet but, always up for ideas on how to improve. You will be surprised how well that little #10 fillister screw holds the abs wiper to the shaft, there is actually very little linear force applied to the wiper when it is adjusted properly. I would expect a 1 week break in for the skimmer and then you should start seeing fantastic production with this combo.

We do have 1 of the 3 demo GS1's that were used to test the Swabbies, we have a matching Swabbie to go with it. Total price is is $250 for the skimmer with pump and + $95 for the demo Swabbie. If the skimmer sells first we will have a 8" (this one is not metric compatible) Swabbie up for grabs at $95

gs1-2010_md.jpg

AVAST Marine Works - GS1 Skimmer - 2010 Model - Product Details

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice... I like it.

wfournier, please send us an email with your phone number and the best time to call: [email protected] so we can talk you through the setup. If you have a pump issue it is most likely due to the yellow impeller bushing coming loose during shipping, it is an easy fix but much easier to explain over the phone.

re: screw We haven't had and issues yet but, always up for ideas on how to improve. You will be surprised how well that little #10 fillister screw holds the abs wiper to the shaft, there is actually very little linear force applied to the wiper when it is adjusted properly. I would expect a 1 week break in for the skimmer and then you should start seeing fantastic production with this combo.

We do have 1 of the 3 demo GS1's that were used to test the Swabbies, we have a matching Swabbie to go with it. Total price is is $250 for the skimmer with pump and + $95 for the demo Swabbie. If the skimmer sells first we will have a 8" (this one is not metric compatible) Swabbie up for grabs at $95

gs1-2010_md.jpg

AVAST Marine Works - GS1 Skimmer - 2010 Model - Product Details

OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis, your package is quite large.....

Please post pictures when it arrives.

OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice... I like it.

Thanks Jon,

What have your observations been with EcoBAK and skimmate production? I know that oldreefer observed some pretty nasty junk being produced when using PCL.

Dan

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back