swapping out all the rock - need advice

Coral Bros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello reefers. i have a 160- gallon mixed sps/lps tank that has been thriving for the last 3 years. it's doing so well i have some rogue pollicipora spawning and popping up on my rocks. i totally want to redo my rock work with shelves and caves. i have about 100lbs or rock in the tank now that is about 3 yrs old. i was planning on swapping out the old rock with new dry rock. the same amount but a new aquascape with the new dry rock. i dont plan on keeping the old rock as the pollicpora has spread to all the crevices of the rocks. i also can't do it in phases fearing the pollicipora will attach to the new rock so i was thinking about doing it all at once. any thoughts? and after i get this done, i will not have policpora in the tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You could but expect some changes with ammonia /nitrates and even ugly phases

OP
OP
Coral Bros

Coral Bros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have rainbow and greens sprouting together. My friends love the patterns but it's taking up too much rock. None of those were planted there. They just randomly appear. I even have a rainbow sprouting below my overflow. It's everywhere.

Attachments

• DB025B3F-14F8-482F-A290-83202698F208.jpeg
    DB025B3F-14F8-482F-A290-83202698F208.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 519A1B58-E59A-415E-BE27-3A320B90A6D2.jpeg
    519A1B58-E59A-415E-BE27-3A320B90A6D2.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 54

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to build the scape and cycle it in tubs with as much of the current rock as possible. No lights, just heat and flow. It would help stop or slow down the ugly stages and speed up the maturing of the tank. Otherwise I would add some rocks to the fuge, buy a large piece of live rock, put it in the tank and add the new scape.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was closer , I’d buy some of the old rocks just for the pocillipora
For real I wish I had this issue. Can you not just remove them they dont grow like majanos. They have a hard skeleton I'd just clip them at the base and sell them honestly.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing sps issue there. You have a frag money pump.

Here’s a work thread for the exact rock swap you are considering.
I recommend doing this zero percent, but there it is should you want to

OP
OP
Coral Bros

Coral Bros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing sps issue there. You have a frag money pump.

Here’s a work thread for the exact rock swap you are considering.
I recommend doing this zero percent, but there it is should you want to
this is great thank you!

OP
OP
Coral Bros

Coral Bros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahah thank you guys. trust me. I loved it in the beginning. was giving it out for free to local reefers. and i loved how i got a grafted effect on the rocks. I decided to let them spawn and grow wild but that was a big mistake. first, i lost a lot of rock real estate. and i have some high end sps acros (homewrecker, angry birds, etc). these spawns completely destroyed my walt disney colony and other high end stuff. and that was the last straw for me. and it is not easy to cut the base as they grow densely in crevices in ball-like structure. its not easy to frag too. And i tried to prevent them from evading my other sps colonies; I've tried cutting as much and epoxying over them, but they continue to grow and pop up everywhere- evading my other corals. It literally is like aiptasia/xenia. so for me, never again will i put pollicipora in my tanks, and i always warn fellow reefers and stores about this when i give it to them for free, but they dont seem to care about it.
cheers

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we need to be recommending it as folks first sps then at least for nano reef starts

they'll feel on top of the world it grows so well and at that rate of growth/adapt its very forgiving and disease resistant. reefcentral had plenty of invasive poci posts back in the day have seen it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back