Swapping t5’s for led strip

BuddyVanDoodle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m already getting sick of replacing t5 bulbs but everyone says they are the gold standard. I have a 4 bulb set up with 2 hydra 26’s on a four foot tank. I have all ati blue plus in it. I guess I would like to know if it’s even worth changing them out and I should just stay with t5 or if switching them would make sense. I have it narrowed down to reef brite and reefbreeders. If you have a specific spectrum would be cool too.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the Reefbrite strips and the reviews on BRS. If that doesn't sell you to dump the glorified shop lights nothing will.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going all strips, do a mix of both reefbreeders and reefbrite. Like reefbrite 50/50 with RB blue/UV and 14k. 2 of each gives 6, I think that would be awesome. If you like really blue then swap 50/50 for all blue but keep other 2.

OP
OP
BuddyVanDoodle

BuddyVanDoodle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going all strips, do a mix of both reefbreeders and reefbrite. Like reefbrite 50/50 with RB blue/UV and 14k. 2 of each gives 6, I think that would be awesome. If you like really blue then swap 50/50 for all blue but keep other 2.
I’m planning on keeping the hydras so they’re just to supplement and fill shadowed areas

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on keeping the hydras so they’re just to supplement and fill shadowed areas
I'd prolly go with the blue/uv and turn up whites on hydras if possible, honestly cant go wrong w any of those three, depends on aesthetics you want.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m already getting sick of replacing t5 bulbs but everyone says they are the gold standard. I have a 4 bulb set up with 2 hydra 26’s on a four foot tank. I have all ati blue plus in it. I guess I would like to know if it’s even worth changing them out and I should just stay with t5 or if switching them would make sense. I have it narrowed down to reef brite and reefbreeders. If you have a specific spectrum would be cool too.
Some will tell you those LEDs could "replace" your T5s. They do not substitute T5s because they are simply 2 different sources of light. The LEds won't give you true UV, to start with. T5s will give you a better spectrum and combination you can choose from. T5s act as a sheet of light. Quality wise T5s are superior IMO. I would use only T5s over a reef instead LEDs/T5s to tell the truth. It's a much better deal in the long run. Yes, it's totally worthy to change those bulbs once a year! Get an ATI Sunpower. Changing light once a year is what you need to to keep it at it's prime drive. That will show some strong results!!!

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back