Swelling in dottiback

  • Thread starter Thread starter JennyG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JennyG

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2025
Messages
47
Reaction score
38
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20260418_124325_F58A44A9-2FC9-4CCC-BA47-CCBAEBF2F4C5.png

20260418_124325_EF69676C-7837-4DE9-BE93-1E236C27855D.png
My dottiback has swelling on her left side. It’s hard to see in the picture but there is a small white dot on the top of it, like a pimple. Any idea what could be causing it? She otherwise appears normal.
 
20260418_124325_F58A44A9-2FC9-4CCC-BA47-CCBAEBF2F4C5.png

20260418_124325_EF69676C-7837-4DE9-BE93-1E236C27855D.png
My dottiback has swelling on her left side. It’s hard to see in the picture but there is a small white dot on the top of it, like a pimple. Any idea what could be causing it? She otherwise appears normal.

I can't see the pimple in the photos. How long has the fish been swollen? Is it still eating well?

I compiled a list of reasons why fish can develop abdominal swelling:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/causes-of-abdominal-swelling-in-fishes.1098720/
Eating and swimming normally. I initially thought she had a bloated stomach but the swelling is more towards the left side .
 
Eating and swimming normally. I initially thought she had a bloated stomach but the swelling is more towards the left side .
May be from an injury or infection. Is fish yet eating?
 
She’s eating. As far as an injury I guess it’s possible she got poked by my urchin.
Yep and that may have caused the swelling. If it gets worse, separate the fish in a separate container and treat with Seachem Neoplex or Tri-sulfa
 
Eating and swimming normally. I initially thought she had a bloated stomach but the swelling is more towards the left side .

Yes - asymmetrical swelling is different, a bloated belly, or ascites would be more symetrical. This could be some internal infection that has reached the surface, or an injury like you mentioned. Internal infections are very difficult to treat.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new