Swim bladder issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter GOSKN5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

GOSKN5

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 19, 2012
Messages
983
Reaction score
754
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can a fish survive with a swim bladder issue? I got a swallowtail from LA about 2 weeks ago that has never swam right... bobs up and down and clearly has issues swimming... looks healthy, eats great etc.. just can't swim straight... I often see the fish "burp" bubbles and also poop bubbles out...

Anything I can do in tank? Does it have a chance?
 
I think in your particular case, this is probably happening because your Swallowtail (a deepwater species) was not properly decompressed by the collector. Simply put, the fish has air trapped in it's swim bladder. The only thing you can do is attempt "needling" (see links below), a very risky & invasive procedure on a fish so small. I would also complain to LA about this.

http://www.reefdup.com/2014/01/05/swim-bladder-inflammation-in-fish/

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/12/01/...s-simple-procedure-correct-downswimming-fish/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new