Swim bladder issue

Claire Austin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this nice male erectus for about nine months. He recently had a bad case of exterior gas bubble disease, with both eyes covered with what looked like a pair of goggles. I treated the tank with Marine Melafix, and the bubbles eventually thinned out enough for him to rub them off. Now his swim bladder is involved. You can see just below where his head and torso meet, towards the ventral (front) side, he looks a little thick. If he unhitches, he floats in an upright position. I've been using Melafix again, but wondering if there is a better remedy?

IMG_20180321_100609.jpg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this nice male erectus for about nine months. He recently had a bad case of exterior gas bubble disease, with both eyes covered with what looked like a pair of goggles. I treated the tank with Marine Melafix, and the bubbles eventually thinned out enough for him to rub them off. Now his swim bladder is involved. You can see just below where his head and torso meet, towards the ventral (front) side, he looks a little thick. If he unhitches, he floats in an upright position. I've been using Melafix again, but wondering if there is a better remedy?

IMG_20180321_100609.jpg
Claire, Melafix although containing some meds for bacterial disorders is probably not the best choice.

When I suspect a bacterial issue I use furan 2 or triple sulfa. I use a packet a day in a 10 gallon QT and do a 50% water a day. I do the treatment for 14 days if possible, (never less than 10 days) even if the symptoms clear sooner. I also use an open airline pump for vigorous aeration but no other filtering equipment.

I would also look at your seahorses tank critically and see if there are any areas of husbandry that can be improved...more water changes, socks or pads changed more frequently, a bigger protein skimmer or siphoning detritus/excess food out of tank or sump chambers. Something is apparently fueling bacteria and your pony will chronically be sick unless you find it, although just like us some pony's are more prone to disease than others. It's worth considering though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back