Swim bladder or something else? Mexican Rock Wrasse

libragirl1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have a Mexican Rock Wrasse that I’ve had now for 3 months. About 2 weeks ago while I was on vacation, came home and the wrasse seems to be “off balance”, like his buoyancy is just off and he’s wedging up inside the rocks to keep from “floating”. Before vacation this fish swam about all the time only wedging inside the rocks at night to sleep. I’ve never seen this fish bury in the sand like other wrasses do. To me, his back looks a little more bent and there appears to be a small lump where the swim bladder is located. He is still eating but it’s challenging for him to get to the food. I’ve treated for parasites and now treating his food with meds for bacterial infection. Wondering if I should try to vent his swim bladder or just leave him be and wait and see. He’s been like this for 2 1/2 weeks now. Any wrasse experts out there have any thoughts, suggestions or advice?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can you post pics under white light? It can be internal or external

OP
OP
L

libragirl1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure I can try when I get home today from work. I attached a video. I clicked on the paper clip “ATTACH FILES” and selected the video I took from my phone. Did it not show?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back