Dragon wrasse stuck at top of tank

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I just got in a dragon wrasse today, juvenile very small. After acclimating he was doing fine at first but now he's sticking to the top of the tank occasionally trying to swim down only to come back up. I considered this maybe swim bladder issues but I'm not sure the best way to deal with this. The only other livestock in the tank is a hawk fish and some finger leather. Aside from that just macro algae. Any advice?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just got in a dragon wrasse today, juvenile very small. After acclimating he was doing fine at first but now he's sticking to the top of the tank occasionally trying to swim down only to come back up. I considered this maybe swim bladder issues but I'm not sure the best way to deal with this. The only other livestock in the tank is a hawk fish and some finger leather. Aside from that just macro algae. Any advice?
Two possibilities- intimidation in a new tank with other fish present and if bag was sideways- possible air which will release on its own
If air, often the fish would appear to be bobbing up and down

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added. Not necessarily an abnormal behavior.

Maybe just settling into this new home….

Make sure he can’t jump…

OP
OP
T

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
That's what I thought initially but it seems like he's trying to swim down but coming right back up. And he sticking around one corner/side. I'd already considered both possibilities presented I just wanted to know if anyone else had thought of anything else. Any recommendations on what I should do aside from covering the tank

OP
OP
T

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
He's swimming in his side more than I'm used to them doing though.... That and the amount of time he's spending up top are my concerns

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a video of your concern would help?
Sometimes New additions do strange things, sometimes it’s nothing, sometimes something.

I had a YT goby do that for days, immediately after adding.
But he jumped out.

Has he eaten?

OP
OP
T

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yeah put in some mices and he went after it. Looking at a more closely it looks like the hawkfish has got his eye on him. I'm not quite sure what the species is but it's not a long nose and it's more of a white color

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah put in some mices and he went after it. Looking at a more closely it looks like the hawkfish has got his eye on him. I'm not quite sure what the species is but it's not a long nose and it's more of a white color

Do you know the salinity of the tank it came from compared to your tank? Many dealers hold their fish at low salinity. If you acclimate the fish to higher salinity, it stresses them and also causes them to be more buoyant as they float more in saltier water.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back