Switch salt or start supplementing 2 part?

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m using instant ocean (not reef crystals). I know several people use this salt and I’ve been having good results; however recently I’ve had the calcium levels come back at 360 ppm (alk 9). This is tested using the API test kits (I know I’m going to get comments that these are unreliable but they are about +\- 20 ppm accuracy which either puts it super low or just low).

I don’t have a real heavy bio load currently in my 28g cube: 1 acro, 2 chalice, Alveopora, and a lepto.

I just opened a big bucket of salt, so it wouldn’t be ideal to switch, but I could do that. Reef crystals would probably be cheaper than a calcium/alk supplement.

Here are my questions:
-Is it worth switching salts to prolong time to have to supplement? (I could always mix both salts) the negative here being it only helps when I do water changes which means less predictability in how it will change these levels.
-If I do a two part supplement, most come with trace minerals. My concern is that if I am not testing these, would they become of concern while I am increasing/maintaining levels?

Any recommendations welcome, I’ve been debating on the brightwell code a/b powder or liquid since most of the other supplements tend seem to be out of stock most places.

Thanks!

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintaining calcium/alk with water changes is never really a long term solution unless you are doing only softies, huge frequent water changes or don't care about growth. Kalk saturated top off water would be a better and cheaper solution. Most 2 parts don't have trace elements. There are a few with strontium and magnesium (needed for calcification) in proper proportion to calcium uptake which is probably more reliable than testing those but otherwise and usually the calcium part is purely calcium chloride and the alkalinity part is purely sodium carbonate/bicarbonate.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maintaining calcium/alk with water changes is never really a long term solution unless you are doing only softies, huge frequent water changes or don't care about growth. Kalk saturated top off water would be a better and cheaper solution. Most 2 parts don't have trace elements. There are a few with strontium and magnesium (needed for calcification) in proper proportion to calcium uptake which is probably more reliable than testing those but otherwise and usually the calcium part is purely calcium chloride and the alkalinity part is purely sodium carbonate/bicarbonate.
You are correct, sorry I said trace elements, but I was meaning more magnesium and strontium. If these are balanced in proportion, then in theory I shouldn’t have to worry about these being too high from getting my calcium up using a two part with this?

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting about your calcium. My calcium has been low as well. Also have a KH of 14-16 with RO water and salt added. Sounds like I need to change tests and or salt. My tap tests out as 16.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, sorry I said trace elements, but I was meaning more magnesium and strontium. If these are balanced in proportion, then in theory I shouldn’t have to worry about these being too high from getting my calcium up using a two part with this?
Yes in theory they should deplete in the same ratio. High mg up to 1600 doesn't show any ill effects and I don't know if many people are testing for strontium. I sure never have.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshly mixed Instant Ocean should have calcium between 400 and 425 ppm. Alkalinity should be above 10 dKh, sometimes close to 11. Reef Crystals isn't that much higher than Instant Ocean in either parameter. You're not going to get much higher than either unless you go with Red Sea Coral Pro.

I know several people use this salt and I’ve been having good results; however recently I’ve had the calcium levels come back at 360 ppm (alk 9). This is tested using the API test kits (I know I’m going to get comments that these are unreliable but they are about +\- 20 ppm accuracy which either puts it super low or just low).

When people complain about the accuracy of API test kits, they're not complaining that the range of results is too wide. +/- 20 ppm is not actually that bad for calcium. The problem with API tests is that the results for calcium and alkalinity are usually just wrong and way outside the stated range of results.

I wouldn't make any changes until you verify your test results with a different test kit. Salifert kits are good and cheap (< $20 each). If you find calcium or alkalinity is low, buy the one gallon calcium mix from BRS for $7 and buy a $1 box of baking soda for calcium. Mix them up and dose them according to the calculator on BRS's site. It seems like a much bigger deal to switch salt mixes than it is to dose a few milliliters of calcium and alkalinity once or twice a week.

RCeiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need to test trace minerals when dosing two part. They are included in a ratio to the alkalinity consumption.

I prefer one part like all-for-reef forsmaller systems or something without much load. The alkalinity seems to stay more consistent.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using instant ocean (not reef crystals). I know several people use this salt and I’ve been having good results; however recently I’ve had the calcium levels come back at 360 ppm (alk 9). This is tested using the API test kits (I know I’m going to get comments that these are unreliable but they are about +\- 20 ppm accuracy which either puts it super low or just low).

I don’t have a real heavy bio load currently in my 28g cube: 1 acro, 2 chalice, Alveopora, and a lepto.

I just opened a big bucket of salt, so it wouldn’t be ideal to switch, but I could do that. Reef crystals would probably be cheaper than a calcium/alk supplement.

Here are my questions:
-Is it worth switching salts to prolong time to have to supplement? (I could always mix both salts) the negative here being it only helps when I do water changes which means less predictability in how it will change these levels.
-If I do a two part supplement, most come with trace minerals. My concern is that if I am not testing these, would they become of concern while I am increasing/maintaining levels?

Any recommendations welcome, I’ve been debating on the brightwell code a/b powder or liquid since most of the other supplements tend seem to be out of stock most places.

Thanks!

What is the salinity? If it is only low, then the calcium may be fine and you just need higher salinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need to test trace minerals when dosing two part. They are included in a ratio to the alkalinity consumption.

I prefer one part like all-for-reef forsmaller systems or something without much load. The alkalinity seems to stay more consistent.

That is not true.

Many two parts do not act as a supplement for trace elements even if they have them in it.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is the salinity? If it is only low, then the calcium may be fine and you just need higher salinity.
Salinity is 1.025, I thought about this and have been trying to raise it to 1.026 but for some reason can’t maintain it there despite an ATO (I think my skimmer is wet skimming and pulling out more salt water than is desired)

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
update:
I appreciate all the responses—
I don’t think I will switch salts, I think I’m going to go with supplements.

I tested with salifert test kits and this is what I got:
Ca: 355
Alk: 8.9
Mg: 1140
Salinity 1.025

I know these parameters are not far out of the normal ranges, but now I’m trying to pick a supplement and overwhelmed.

For the magnesium I have some magnesion Salt (brightwell aquatics) that is 10 years old, is this still okay to use? (I assume yes due to it being a salt)

once I get the magnesium up then I need to focus on the calcium..

since both alk and calcium are on the low end, I am thinking a two part would be the best bet. Any advice between brightwell reef code a/b powders or bulk reef supply calcium chloride and baking soda?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need to dose two parts with that coral load. You will literally go half a year in that size tank before calcium drops 20-30 points. If you start dosing you will be making additional posts about why you have 600 calcium and normal alk. I will save you the aggravation.

RC has higher alk and calcium. Its made for reefers like you who have low calcium uptake and want to replenish with water changes. Therefore it has higher default alk and calcium over its cousin IO.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back