Switched to acrylic sump, now return pump is loud

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
few weeks ago I switched from DIY glass sump to Trigger Systems Platinum w fleece roller (got tired of filter floss and detritus build up). Trigger sump is amazing and I love it so far. However now the return pump is very loud. Pump is connected to pvc pipe using a vinyl tube to true union with ball valve that's closed 1/2 way (same as when I used glass sump). Pipes go through a sheet rock wall.

After installing the new sump, I noticed the pump was no longer touching the sump base and "hanging" from the pvc pipe. I placed a rubber mat underneath the pump which seemed to have silenced it a bit but still much louder than before.

Any suggestions?
Thx

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It sounds like you have already taken several appropriate steps. Is the issue the noise from the internal parts of the pump, the vibration of the pump against the sump, or the transfer of the vibration to the tank (and surrounding areas). A possibility to reduce the transfer of vibration is to add a short piece of silicone tubing (not vinyl or other type of plastic) between the return pump and the hard plumbing for the return. Silicone tubing seems to limit vibration transfer more than other types of tubing. If you don't have it already, BRS sells it by the foot in various diameters. Additionally, what type of return pump do you have? if it is a DC then you can turn it down, if it is an AC then you may want to try opening up the valve to limit the restriction (if you system will allow). Good luck!

OP
OP
Super Fly

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you have already taken several appropriate steps. Is the issue the noise from the internal parts of the pump, the vibration of the pump against the sump, or the transfer of the vibration to the tank (and surrounding areas). A possibility to reduce the transfer of vibration is to add a short piece of silicone tubing (not vinyl or other type of plastic) between the return pump and the hard plumbing for the return. Silicone tubing seems to limit vibration transfer more than other types of tubing. If you don't have it already, BRS sells it by the foot in various diameters. Additionally, what type of return pump do you have? if it is a DC then you can turn it down, if it is an AC then you may want to try opening up the valve to limit the restriction (if you system will allow). Good luck!
I think noise is from pump against the sump. Thanks for all the suggestions, gonna try the silicone and open up the valves too (have AC pump). If nothing works, as final resort will try DC pump to control flow rate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back