Switching 2 part Whats recommended?

fyrefightr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 mixed reef thats been doing good and I have just finished my first bottles of ATI 2 part. I didnt like using them as they were not very compatible with my Coral Sea Pro salt mix which is higher then the recommended parameters for it. I was down to dosing 7.8ml a day for part 1 and 12ml per day for part 2. Is there a better dosing system out there for me? I currently use a Kamoer wifi 4 pump system so I can dose 4 different products. Attached is an updated pic of my tank and before anyone thinks its beside my window, thats a reflection!!!

My last parameters a day after doing a 15 gal water change AND not dosing for a week were:
Nitrates 2ppm
Phosphates .056
Calcium 492
Alk 7.1
Mag 1240
Salinity 1.026
PH 8.2

IMG_8356.JPG

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser seems to be the popular option

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way that tank consumes much calcium. Alk maybe, but not calcium. Explains why calcium is at 500. This is the classic alk too low and calcium too high scenario. Because you bought a doser doesn't mean your tank is consuming it calcium. Its not. No way.

I would quit dosing milligrams of calcium a day and just stick to water changes for calcium replenishment and use the doser for alk.

punchy7080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the BRS products and mix myself. Dosing with X1 pumps. My tank is newer with a few corals and also does not use much calcium. With your level I’d only dose alk and let the calcium level come down with uptake and water changes. Get it to 440 then measure again after ~5 days and see what the tank has used to determine if and how much to start dosing again.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used B-Ionic 2 part for years growing large sps and lps colonies. It would be especially good for you as your dosing needs are just beginning. You might start out with 5 mls equal parts of parts a and b. Test and adjust as needed. B-Ionic has a proven track record. It won’t disappoint.
80481F57-6EBF-4BB7-A14D-3E7E5C783B6F.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 mixed reef thats been doing good and I have just finished my first bottles of ATI 2 part. I didnt like using them as they were not very compatible with my Coral Sea Pro salt mix which is higher then the recommended parameters for it. I was down to dosing 7.8ml a day for part 1 and 12ml per day for part 2. Is there a better dosing system out there for me? I currently use a Kamoer wifi 4 pump system so I can dose 4 different products. Attached is an updated pic of my tank and before anyone thinks its beside my window, thats a reflection!!!

My last parameters a day after doing a 15 gal water change AND not dosing for a week were:
Nitrates 2ppm
Phosphates .056
Calcium 492
Alk 7.1
Mag 1240
Salinity 1.026
PH 8.2

I do not understand why you want to switch to a different two part.

There are many fine two /three parts, and none require the tank or water change water to be at any given set of parameters.

Are you really looking for a trace element supplement instead?

OP
OP
fyrefightr

fyrefightr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not understand why you want to switch to a different two part.

There are many fine two /three parts, and none require the tank or water change water to be at any given set of parameters.

Are you really looking for a trace element supplement instead?
@Randy Holmes-Farley , thanks for the reply. The only issue with the ATI was that it was so difficult to find the right dossage and I was inquiring as to if there is a "better" one out there such as red sea or brs etc. I get that they all will have to be dialed in to my tank but was just looking for what others were using. Also it says that if you dont have a lot of SPS and have mostly softys or anemone's than essentials pro is not for you.

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, thanks for the reply. The only issue with the ATI was that it was so difficult to find the right dossage and I was inquiring as to if there is a "better" one out there such as red sea or brs etc. I get that they all will have to be dialed in to my tank but was just looking for what others were using.
BRS is cheapest and has a calculator to know exactly how much is needed to dose. I believe your magnesium should be higher. It helps stabilize Alk and Cal.
I looked up your 2 part - why are you dosing more calcium than alkalinity? These 2 parts are meant to be dosed in the same ratio.

Bump magnesium and dose same amounts of 2 part. Regardless of brand. You may switch to any salt you like.

OP
OP
fyrefightr

fyrefightr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is cheapest and has a calculator to know exactly how much is needed to dose. I believe your magnesium should be higher. It helps stabilize Alk and Cal.
I looked up your 2 part - why are you dosing more calcium than alkalinity? These 2 parts are meant to be dosed in the same ratio.

Bump magnesium and dose same amounts of 2 part. Regardless of brand. You may switch to any salt you like.
to clarify, those parameters I listed were AFTER not dosing for a couple weeks and a couple of weeks between water changes. With the way I was dosing regularly at 7.8 for pro 1 and 12.0 for pro 2 my parameters were
Calcium 433
Alk 8.9
Mag 1480

When I first started out and used the ATI dosing calculator and had them equal I was at
Calcium 495
Alk 10.1
Mag 1500

To get the calcium and mag down, I had to lower the dosage for them

OP
OP
fyrefightr

fyrefightr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning to switch to a different 2 part/salt mix?
No, I think I can continue with the red sea coral pro. If I stick with the ATI on my reorder, I will be ok. Like I said, I was just curious as to other choices. Obviously my tank does not consume very much calcium which is why it climbs with the slightest of dosing. I may be better off just dosing the alk and some trace elements instead of a two part and then dose magnesium and calcium manually as needed

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley , thanks for the reply. The only issue with the ATI was that it was so difficult to find the right dossage and I was inquiring as to if there is a "better" one out there such as red sea or brs etc. I get that they all will have to be dialed in to my tank but was just looking for what others were using. Also it says that if you dont have a lot of SPS and have mostly softys or anemone's than essentials pro is not for you.

I don't see how the brand of two part can impact how hard it is to dial in.

But many folks use my DIY (as from BRS). Using Balling Part C with it makes it a great choice. ESV B-ionic is an excellent product too.

The essentials pro comment presumably relates to trace elements in it, but I don't see any reason to believe it is an accurate comment. My expectation is its a marketing suggestion.

OP
OP
fyrefightr

fyrefightr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how the brand of two part can impact how hard it is to dial in.

But many folks use my DIY (as from BRS). Using Balling Part C with it makes it a great choice. ESV B-ionic is an excellent product too.

The essentials pro comment presumably relates to trace elements in it, but I don't see any reason to believe it is an accurate comment. My expectation is its a marketing suggestion.
thanks for all your advice.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back