Switching from an HOB Disposable Cartridge to a Biological Filter

codewon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am fairly new to saltwater aquariums and I am upgrading my tank and filtration. I‘m currently using a TopFin power filter (which has disposable cartridges) and I am switching to a biological filter. How do I get bacteria from the cartridge into the new tank filter?

I’m not sure if this can even be done but I have only been doing this for a month.

Thanks,
codewon

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am fairly new to saltwater aquariums and I am upgrading my tank and filtration. I‘m currently using a TopFin power filter (which has disposable cartridges) and I am switching to a biological filter. How do I get bacteria from the cartridge into the new tank filter?

I’m not sure if this can even be done but I have only been doing this for a month.

Thanks,
codewon

Do you have rock in the tank?
Is the tank cycled?

If so, you already have bacteria present and dont need to worry about saving the filter cartridge.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
google "the berlin method", this explains how biofiltration works in a reef tank.

Biofiltration doesn't come from a cartridge, it comes from live rock and flow.

OP
OP
codewon

codewon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im assuming the OP is changing from a filter with a carbon/felt insert (mechanical) that you would throw away when spent, to a refillable media style HOB filter (mechanical and biological)
Yup thats what I meant sorry

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can stick your old cartridge in your new media for 5 days and then toss it if you like your bacterial blend. Otherwise, your cycled aquarium will seed the filter media in time, just feed lightly for 2 weeks. You can also seed with Fritz Turbostart 900. I can’t recommend any other bacteria starters for media, as all others have caused problems. Or you can supplement the aquarium with Microbacter 7 for 2 weeks.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back