Switching from t5 to radion

sstanley223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Im running a 6 bulb t5 on my 65 gal mixed reef. It has a few acros, montis, stylos and a large LTA on the sandbed. Im getting about 265 par on top of the rockwork and about 130 where my nem is. Im switching to xr15's. I would appreciate suggestions for power percentage to start acclimation. Or any other advise. Ive had mixed results with LEDs on my other aquariums. Thanks!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t go by %.
Use the meter.
Pick the colors and time , set the intensity then an acclimation mode

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Sounds simple enough. Makes more sense now!
And keep an eye on the coral too.
You may even find that they want more par than you recorded.
The fancy led settings may lack some of the other spectrum the sensor reads that the t5 has and the led may not have programmed.

Par meters are not just for reef tanks.
That’s par and Pur.
Plants and coral have different things they find useful.

OP
OP
sstanley223

sstanley223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And keep an eye on the coral too.
You may even find that they want more par than you recorded.
The fancy led settings may lack some of the other spectrum the sensor reads that the t5 has and the led may not have programmed.

Par meters are not just for reef tanks.
That’s par and Pur.
Plants and coral have different things they find useful.
Again thanks, the learning curve has been steep with the adjustments of the LED's

OP
OP
sstanley223

sstanley223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many xr15 are you going to use?
I have a 65 galllon thats been running for a year and a half. It has the t5 setup. Im finishing up a 125 gallon build that is going to use 3 xr15's. I was going to put 2 of them on the 65gal now to start acclimating now to help minimize the stress of changing aquariums and lighting at the same time.

Thingsibuild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using xr15 on my 75 peninsula. I have two,I will be adding one more. The disco ball thing sucks for how much they cost. But my corals love the lights and the blue setting make it pop nice. So now I'm running four t5 with the xr15. I run t5 middle of the day 5 hours. With out the t5 running with only two xr15 in ab+ mode it's not the best viewing or light spread. But like I said before the blue settings are amazing. I also will be adding the diffuser after i get the third light.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using xr15 on my 75 peninsula. I have two,I will be adding one more. The disco ball thing sucks for how much they cost. But my corals love the lights and the blue setting make it pop nice. So now I'm running four t5 with the xr15. I run t5 middle of the day 5 hours. With out the t5 running with only two xr15 in ab+ mode it's not the best viewing or light spread. But like I said before the blue settings are amazing. I also will be adding the diffuser after i get the third light.
You could add the diffusers for another $50 or so, as they are suppose to eliminate the disco effect and give you a better light spread. I was going with the Radions on my tank, as they work really well on my sisters tank, but when adding up all the extra cost for the hanging kit and diffusers, I decided to go with the Mitra's. In my opinion they are a better light, no disco ball effect, great coverage, high par, and very easy to install and program.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back