Switching from tap to RO water

  • Thread starter Thread starter cruzreefs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cruzreefs

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 14, 2024
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
Location
seattle
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I started my reef tank I have used tap water because when i first started the tank I didn't know anything about the differences of tap and RO water I have only really had minor problems with water quality but ever since I learned about RO water i have wanted to switch from tap to RO my question is with my tank already having tap water in it will it be ok to just start using RO water during water changes
 
Yes. Good luck!
 
yep just go for it. if you want you can also add in some activated carbon and cuprisorb to get out any remaining metals like copper that might have accumulated due to the tap water
 
Are you testing the water parameters?

Depending on water quality, calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity demand may increase - or rather they'll not be added in from the tap water. Nutrients may also decrease depending again on the quality of the source water being added.

Make sure that you account for possible changes.

I recently did the same thing after several years of using tap water. It will help keep things balanced for sure.
 
Ever since I started my reef tank I have used tap water because when i first started the tank I didn't know anything about the differences of tap and RO water I have only really had minor problems with water quality but ever since I learned about RO water i have wanted to switch from tap to RO my question is with my tank already having tap water in it will it be ok to just start using RO water during water changes
Assuming you're simply going to swap over and maintaining a normal 10% a week water change, just go ahead.

The change to any parameters will be slow and probably not noticed by the tank.

As you haven't had any issues in the past, you've probably had very good water from the tap.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new