Switching over? Considerations?

HWEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.
I’m 2 years into reef keeping and I just don’t think I’m enjoying it like I should.

i have a reefsys 255 tank with sump and I’m considering switching to seahorses.
I’ve previously done quite a lot of research as this was my main reason for joining the hobby, but realistically what could I achieve with ponies? I’m aware my lps and current fish stock would need to go other than my mandarin and possibly my blue chromis (?)

Kuda are most accessible to me, how many realistically would I have in there?, tank ideas? Inspiration? Success stories? Horror stories?! Etc.
Just thinking out loud… any chatting about this possibly switch welcome

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically, anything you want if you have the desire. I've seen a few cool seahorse setups on R2R, so you should definitely perform a few searches for inspiration.

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.
I’m 2 years into reef keeping and I just don’t think I’m enjoying it like I should.

i have a reefsys 255 tank with sump and I’m considering switching to seahorses.
I’ve previously done quite a lot of research as this was my main reason for joining the hobby, but realistically what could I achieve with ponies? I’m aware my lps and current fish stock would need to go other than my mandarin and possibly my blue chromis (?)

Kuda are most accessible to me, how many realistically would I have in there?, tank ideas? Inspiration? Success stories? Horror stories?! Etc.
Just thinking out loud… any chatting about this possibly switch welcome
Matthew from my first fish tank blog/YouTube (now Brstv) has a cool macro algae sea horse tank.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept erectus seahorses for about 6 years. They truly are the most charming fish and I loved them. I even raised 16 fry to sellable size (about 5 months old) once.

What I learned was that seahorses are tough little fish except when it comes to bacterial infections, which they are very vulnerable to. An ounce of prevention is definitely worth a lb of cure. They need very good water conditions and a tank with minimal detritus accumulation and no excess food to keep bacteria at a minimum. I found that a bare bottom tank makes this easier with a turnover of 20Xs. Just be sure there are low flow areas for the ponies to hitch if they want to rest. An oversized skimmer is helpful. Cooler water under 74° is also a must if you are going to feed frozen mysis.

I found that my ponies did best in a species only tank. Fish, even peaceful ones always seem to introduce disease. I found that about 30 gallons of tank is what was best for 2 seahorses. They like tall tanks, 20" or more for spawning, (although where there is a will there is a way). The courtship dance of a mated pair of ponies is absolutely a wonder to behold.

I would still have seahorses if it were not for their feeding. They should eat 2-3 Xs a day so travelling can be a challenge if you do not have a good fish sitter.

I wish you success in this pursuit. I wrote a series of articles that used to be in the stickies if you want to know more.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back