Switching salts... input

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any experience or input switching between salts. I have gone between Reef crystals and regular instant ocean depending on price. I read that changing water parameters can couse trouble for fish and there is a difference between these two. I also used Red Sea that I got from a hobbyist. It was after that a fish of mine got a swim bladder issue. That salt is very advanced. I think the little bucket costs as much a big bucket of Instant Ocean. So water parameter were changing drastically. Anybody switch salts from time to time?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Salt is salt. No such thing as "advanced" or "professional" salt. Just marketing terms. Some salts have different qualities like purer ingredients, higher or lower alkalinity/calcium/magnesium/etc...

If this is a fish only system, it doesn't matter what salt you use. IO Purple is great and always found for cheap if needed. Just match salinity and you are good to go.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most would recommend picking a salt that best matches the parameters you want to run.

The only thing I'd worry about is massive water change from low alkalinity to high alk salt,,, then switching back,,, and back and forth (assuming you don't adjust your new water before using).

I'm using Instant Ocean regular right now but have some Fritz RPM regular that I'm going to move to when I run out of IO,,, but only because I'd prefer the lower alkalinity without having to tweak it.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. The red sea was more advanced in that it said you had to take extra readings like days later or something. Idk. I know they have more in them for corals is what I meant. I supposed that the extra stuff could be affecting water parameters.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. The red sea was more advanced in that it said you had to take extra readings like days later or something. Idk. I know they have more in them for corals is what I meant. I supposed that the extra stuff could be affecting water parameters.
I think I misunderstood the question.
You wouldn't do anything differently testing-wise for a different salt.
If budget is the goal, regular Instant Ocean is usually cheapest I ever see.
Just stick with it unless you have another reason to switch.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back