Switching Salts

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why slowly change? Just mix up a batch and do your regular WC. Depending on what it mixes up to, and where you keep your tank, it might change your levels only slightly.

Salt is salt, there is no magic in any other brand then another. They just mix up to different parameters, and some add organics, but pretty much salt is salt.

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why slowly change? Just mix up a batch and do your regular WC. Depending on what it mixes up to, and where you keep your tank, it might change your levels only slightly.

Salt is salt, there is no magic in any other brand then another. They just mix up to different parameters, and some add organics, but pretty much salt is salt.
that’s what i was going to do but i just wanted to clarify

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change salts from time to time and just do my normal 20% water changes like I always do. I dont do anything special or different and eventually I have changed salts ;Smuggrin

jadedluna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always told that it depended on what type of change you’re doing, compare the parameters of the one salt mix with the other. How high of an increase or drop is the calcium or magnesium? Does it not have either? If they’re the same there should be no problem doing it immediately, but depending on that answer, I would do it slowly. If they have a huge difference in traces be prepared to adjust your dosing schedule!

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Kind of agree I changed from instant ocean or whatever my LFS store had i dont even know to Coral pro salt in a 12 gallon...I think I did like 20% on the first water change and then the usual bigger 40%-50% water changes after that and my corals didnt react negatively to the change and I havent had any issues and the coral seem happier with this change but then again Ive learned to always take your time in this hobby! but sometimes you can take a risk...however in your case since youre not rushing to save anything or its not an emergency I would take it slow if you have the chance. You just never know with these corals!

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you do like a 90% wc it’s not likely to affect your current system. Most of the difference in salts is just elevated calcium/alk levels

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Back