Switching to dosing from kalk in ATO

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get a high pressure switch from avast that would shut your kalk pump off if your sump level got too high. I have used a similar one for over 30 years.
Thats a good idea. Would i just plug the doser into it?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I got this from them. Get it directly from avast marine for a better price. I used silicone to attach the suction cups to my sump.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I got this from them. Get it directly from avast marine for a better price. I used silicone to attach the suction cups to my sump.

I actually have this. Im using it for my auto top off. Its a fantastic auto top off. Their peristaltic pump is not though. The tubing died on me after 1 month of use! Now i have to buy another top off for my doser lol

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is cool. They use these or something like these to fill automatic transmissions in assembly plants.
It senses the depth of fluid at a specific temperature. Differential pressure switch
1581076214211.png

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is cool. They use these or something like these to fill automatic transmissions in assembly plants.
It senses the depth of fluid at a specific temperature. Differential pressure switch
1581076214211.png
They are cool. I’ve been using one from the manufacturer tsunami for about 25 years without fail. Of course we know what will happen now :)

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have this. Im using it for my auto top off. Its a fantastic auto top off. Their peristaltic pump is not though. The tubing died on me after 1 month of use! Now i have to buy another top off for my doser lol
It is a great ATO switch. I use a Spectrapure liter meter 3 as my pump.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After considering all the replies here and reading various supporting threads, it seems the answer is to pre mix limewater and use a liter meter for delivery.

if anyone else has any other suggestions ( the liter meter isn’t cheap, or available from anywhere other than Spectrapure ) please let me know.

I know I'm a little late here...

Dosing limewater really is better than using limewater in an auto top off, so you did the right thing. One of those cheap Aqualifter pumps works really well for this.

OP
OP
splitting_lanes

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm a little late here...

Dosing limewater really is better than using limewater in an auto top off, so you did the right thing. One of those cheap Aqualifter pumps works really well for this.
I’ve noticed the inconsistent delivery of Alk/top off water. Hope to have good results to post in a few weeks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back