Swollen Cloudy Eye on Leopard Wrasse in QT

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, suddenly realized this am while checking on the QT that I never removed the carbon from the HOB filter insert. Should I assume that none of the EM has stayed in the system and essentially start treatment over or is it likely the small amount of carbon contained in the penguin filter would not have stripped all of the medication out?

Unfortunately, I think it's best to start again and run the full course. That would explain why the eye was still cloudy, the dosage would have been lowered enough to suppress the infection but not actually treat it.

If you start another partial treatment, you run the risk of the bacteria becoming resistant to the medication [emoji40]

OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that makes sense. Do you think it's safe to go ahead and start without a water change?

OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After finishing the last dose of EM, my Leopard's eye looks much better, however there is still a very small amount of swelling and slight cloudiness. The gold ring around the pupil is still much less distinct than on her healthy eye.

Since I was accidentally running carbon I guess I can only assume that I got one full round of EM. Since it hasn't fully resolved but is much improved should I go for another round or just give it additional time? Thx all!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After finishing the last dose of EM, my Leopard's eye looks much better, however there is still a very small amount of swelling and slight cloudiness. The gold ring around the pupil is still much less distinct than on her healthy eye.

Since I was accidentally running carbon I guess I can only assume that I got one full round of EM. Since it hasn't fully resolved but is much improved should I go for another round or just give it additional time? Thx all!

I don't think an extra dose would hurt, just to finish up what might be lingering. I wouldn't go much longer than 14 days though, if you get that far and it's still noticeably symptomatic you might need to switch up the antibiotics.

Kanaplex and/or furan-2 would be my next choice. Metroplex can be added to these two to widen the spectrum.

OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So completed extra dose of EM and while the eye looks better it's not completely resolved. Should I give it some additional time to see if it clears up or go straight to Kanaplex?

Also, I'm now going on 6 weeks in QT and neither fish shows any signs of flukes/parasites. Is it still advisable to do a prophylactic treatment of Prazipro? If so, should I wait until all antibiotic treatment is complete?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe give it a few days rest from antibiotics if you can. Feed vita-chem or selcon soaked foods to help boost its immune system. Do you have any pictures of how it looks now?

If it begins to get worse though, you'll want to get the other antibiotics going. Maybe even an acriflavine bath to give you a head-start, I use ruby reef rally.

If there is no sign of flukes I would probably wait until you have the infection cleared up before dosing prazi...however...are you SURE it's not flukes in the eyes? Sometimes severe cases of flukes will present similar to an eye infection...

Edit. Just went back to re-read and noticed you already did a freshwater dip. I don't think the prazi is necessary at this point, unless you want to do it "just in case"

Last edited:
OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After giving a short break from the antibiotics I treated the QT with Kanaplex (2 rounds) week before last. Was on vacation last week and back yesterday. This morning, the eye is looking as good as it's looked throughout treatment, but still not perfect. The shiny gold ring around the pupil is dull and the eye still has some cloudiness. Swelling has essentially resolved. Leopard is acting normal and feeding well, though I can't get a sense of whether she's seeing through the right eye.

Any thoughts on how to proceed at this point? To summarize, over the course of the last 2 months
I started with FW dip, then three courses of EM. After a week rest then did two courses of Kanaplex. Still have not treated with Prazipro.

OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After giving a short break from the antibiotics I treated the QT with Kanaplex (2 rounds) week before last. Was on vacation last week and back yesterday. This morning, the eye is looking as good as it's looked throughout treatment, but still not perfect. The shiny gold ring around the pupil is dull and the eye still has some cloudiness. Swelling has essentially resolved. Leopard is acting normal and feeding well, though I can't get a sense of whether she's seeing through the right eye.

Any thoughts on how to proceed at this point? To summarize, over the course of the last 2 months
I started with FW dip, then three courses of EM. After a week rest then did two courses of Kanaplex. Still have not treated with Prazipro.

Correction-did 3 doses of Kanaplex.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would treat with Prazipro next, and also try Melafix (herbal remedy) for the cloudy eye. Melafix may (or may not) help, but it sounds as though you don't have much to lose at this point.

OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Humblefish. Just started Prazipro and will look for Melafix. For the Prazipro should I follow your usual QT recommendation of treatment, 5 day wait, 25% WC and then second treatment?

OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To follow up on the issues with my Leopard wrasse, after going through multiple rounds of antibiotics, several attempts to reduce swelling using Epsom salts and two rounds of Prazipro, I didn’t see any real improvement on her eye so I added her to the DT in late July to see if the condition might gradually resolve. She behaved normally for several months, eating well and doing fine other than appearing to have limited/no sight on the side with the swollen eye.

A little over a month ago, she started swimming differently, just hovering over the bottom and bouncing off of anything in her path. She also began hiding in the sand throughout most days. After a couple weeks, I moved her to my QT to watch her. She went straight into the sand and I didn’t see her for about a month, despite looking daily. For the time, I decided to leave her be and see if things improved.

After getting increasingly worried that she might be gone, today I decided to try to get a look at her so I gently dig through the sand and she popped out. She looks good and appears to have been eating, but her bad eye remains quite swollen and now, even though the other eye seems ok, she seems like she has no vision. However the good eye looks completely normal. She swam aimlessly around the tank, bumping into sides and rocks.

A few pics...

The problem eye...

c5178be1350d0ae391294cb808be4afa.jpg

The normal-looking eye...

e31903608edf3d4a2871379996c9ff59.jpg

Top view to show swelling...

7873d3f4c2f9ef09dcbc4fdb0a161034.jpg

Is there some reason related to the swollen eye that she could have now lost sight in her good eye? And are there any possible treatments at this point to try and reduce swelling in the bad eye and/or help deal with the vision issues? Thanks for any suggestions.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if there’s something behind the eye (like perhaps a tumor) that’s keeping it swollen. I wish I had more for you.

Unfortunately, the issue will either slowly improve or slowly worsen. I certainly hope it’s not the latter!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back