syncra sdc 6.0 vs varios-4

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
have the possibility of getting one of these two pumps from my GF as a bday gift but am having difficulty choosing one…

both are DC, both have reviews saying they’re silent/loud, both are around the same price. the reviews i’ve seen are rather old, so i tried searching for posts on these products and am getting the same results (turns out some people have had more “technical/mechanical” issues with the varios-4 pumps than sicce sdc 6.0)

i currently have a sicce syncra silent 3.5 (660gph), and the humming makes me not want to get another sicce product. not only that, but was looking for something a bit smaller than my current 3.5 and both of these products are smaller and have more gph

either of these pumps would be used towards a 75G i am trying to build, and are sized slightly bigger due to leaving room for reactors if i ever go that route..

thanks in advance

Last edited:
OP
OP
shakacuz

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've found that the Sicce pumps can be a bit "louder", but in terms of dependability and reliability - they've been rock solid so far.
thank you for the input. hopefully sound-wise, the SDC6.0 is not as loud as the silent series…

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the input. hopefully sound-wise, the SDC6.0 is not as loud as the silent series…
I have an Sicce SDC 6.0 that powers my UV and even @65% speed it's quite quiet. The SDC 9.0 that powers my return pump is a noticeably louder - but this is also due to the braided hosing I used (which apparently conducts vibrations quite well through the plumbing). I run a spare impeller on both SDC models so that I can expedite cleaning and get the pumps back online within mere minutes (then disassemble/clean the old impellers at my leisure).

OP
OP
shakacuz

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have an Sicce SDC 6.0 that powers my UV and even @65% speed it's quite quiet. The SDC 9.0 that powers my return pump is a noticeably louder - but this is also due to the braided hosing I used (which apparently conducts vibrations quite well through the plumbing). I run a spare impeller on both SDC models so that I can expedite cleaning and get the pumps back online within mere minutes (then disassemble/clean the old impellers at my leisure).
did you buy the impellers from sicce, or?

i also run braided tubing between my return and pump...this could quite literally be why i hear humming..

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you buy the impellers from sicce, or?
i also run braided tubing between my return and pump...this could quite literally be why i hear humming..
I ordered the extra impellers at the same time from my supplier.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Varios 4 user here. Previously had a sicce as a return. The varios is way quieter! I could hear the sicce "hum" when sitting on my couch. The varios I cannot hear at all.

My skimmer runs a sicce pump(BM curve 5 elite), I can hear the "hum" of that pump, but still cannot hear the varios even with my head in my cabinet.

I run my varios on 2 ticks below max on my 80G cube.

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...I have dual SDC9's for returns, a varios 6 (effectively) in my 250sss skimmer, and some level of syncra silent pump running my uv circuit (came used with tank and label wore off).

The 9's are running just over 50% at all times and are near silent, water movement is louder.

Skimmer is also relatively silent, all you hear is air intake

the up pump is LOUD...but also does not have the silicone feet.

moral of the story from me is - oversize the pump and turn it down. the SDC's are pretty dang quiet.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back