Synergy or HOB overflow box users, question for you...?

Leslie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 75 gallon tank and I'm considering getting a synergy shadow overflow. My question is, how does everyone plumb their return lines? Suggestions, pics would be great.

danferd2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bean animal. You can Google for details. Basically a full siphon with a gate valve for control. An open siphon as a backup. An emergency open as second backup.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon marine land, I drilled,
16" synergy overflow,
Reduced 1.5" to 1" right at the overflow outlets
Trigger sump
1" return line

The first time I put it together I had a slow leak at the tank to overflow box because I didn't tighten the nuts inside the overflow box enough. Bought a belt pipe wrench and got it tighter.

IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG
IMG_0189.JPG

eenoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great! I think I'm actually going to try the Eshopps L overflow box. Basically the same thing, and half the price.
I have the eshopps eclipse S overflow and its certainly nice, but the look doesnt even compare to the synergy overflow. If you dont care about looks the eshopps is a great choice

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
75 gallon marine land, I drilled,
16" synergy overflow,
Reduced 1.5" to 1" right at the overflow outlets
Trigger sump
1" return line

The first time I put it together I had a slow leak at the tank to overflow box because I didn't tighten the nuts inside the overflow box enough. Bought a belt pipe wrench and got it tighter.

IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG
IMG_0189.JPG
Did you notice any noise from the reduction to 1" drains? I have the emerald 34 and the shadow, but was thinking of drilling a 1 1/2" hole for the main drain and reducing the secondary drain to 1" so there's no noise. My tank will be in the Living Room, so quiet is a must.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in our theater room and it's very quiet. The only noises I hear in descending order, Osmolator ATO pump, waves over the weir (when the power heads are in the big standing wave pattern), and the vertex 150 skimmer air line. After the first minute of startup the drain is completely silent. I use the Varios-2 on max speed which is only 450 gallons per hour. So definitely small compared to the 1" line capacities.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 54 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 53 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back