Synergy overflow noise

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set mine, I did this:

Note...NOTHING INSIDE the overflow boxes gets glued. Only glue the pipes that come OUT the bottom.
1) Set the suction line where the top of the elbow is about half the height of the box. Only put it in enough to hold it in place. Don't force it, because you may need to adjust it later. This sets the level of water in the inside weir. If you're getting noise as water goes through the bulkheads, the siphon elbow may be low.
2) Put your emergency pipe in, and make it about 3/4" below the top of the box. Again, don't force it hard, just enough to hold it in place.
3) Put the secondary line in place, without an elbow on it, making sure it's higher than the TOP of the siphon elbow. You can trim it lower later. Keep in mind that if anything goes wrong in testing, you want to be able to yank out one of the pipes and open it up to prevent a flood...so again...don't push them in tightly.

Test and adjust the valve in the siphon line.
1) Open the valve all the way and turn on the return pump.
2) You should see water rise to the bottom of the siphon elbow, but not actually go to the top of it.
3) Wait a minute or two to make sure it's keeping a stable water level.
4) Slowly close the valve until you see the water level rising VERY SLOWLY. You may get some gurgling and noise as the siphon line expels any air.
5) Wait until it rises above the siphon elbow, then begins to run into the secondary line. N0w you see the basics of how this overflow works.
6) The siphon line should carry almost all of the water flow, with just a small trickle making it to the secondary line. Too much in the secondary and it will make noise as it falls. Adjust the valve accordingly. If you open it too much, water level may go up and down, repeating the gurgling over and over. This means that the siphon is carrying more water than is entering the box, so close the valve slightly. If too much is flowing into the secondary line, open the valve some.
7) Once you have the valve adjusted, you need to determine and set the height of the secondary line. Pull it out and leave the pump going while you do this step. It doesn't matter that it will take all the flow. It's just noise while you work. The purpose in the secondary elbow is to make it quieter, so you want the opening under water. You also MUST have the lowest point of the elbow (flow area) ABOVE the top of the siphon line. This height is what sets the water level in the outside box, so keep the top below where the emergency line is.
8) Put the secondary pipe and elbow back in. You should get (but won't see) the same amount of flow out the secondary drain as before when you didn't have the elbow on. Remember, you set the valve already.

Most importantly....TEST, TEST, TEST!!! Turn off the return pump and watch what happens. It's much better to test enough times you know what happens when you aren't home and the power goes out, than to come home and find out.
Yea I think both our noises are coming from the weir thank you for the very detailed information

O @mixer911 my guestamation on flow was way off this is only the right return as I haven't done the left but he left is plumes the same way only diffence it has a manifold
IMG_2071.PNG

So right around 3900 gallons an hour thru the weir don't need know how I came up with 1300 but whatever thanks again

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think both our noises are coming from the weir thank you for the very detailed information

O @mixer911 my guestamation on flow was way off this is only the right return as I haven't done the left but he left is plumes the same way only diffence it has a manifold
IMG_2071.PNG

So right around 3900 gallons an hour thru the weir don't need know how I came up with 1300 but whatever thanks again
Yep that's about what I figured, 3800 gph or so. That proves that the Shadow can handle high flow rates, which is what we designed it to do. We are in the process of making our own videos with some George Fischer flow meters to show different gph plumbing setups. Our 1500 gph max has been very conservative with these overflows.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm at 3800 and my valve still has 1/4 turn to fully open so u might be at 5000-6000 gph

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The limiting factor of the overflow may be the weir strainer itself. 2" pvc will flow about 3300ghp at low pressure or gravity, so that means the piping of the box itself should be able to flow 6600gph. ...probably way more than anybody will ever put through it.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The limiting factor of the overflow may be the weir strainer itself. 2" pvc will flow about 3300ghp at low pressure or gravity, so that means the piping of the box itself should be able to flow 6600gph. ...probably way more than anybody will ever put through it.

No the Shadow is only 1.5" not 2" bulkheads. So max flow is around 4200 gph with it setup with a primary and secondary drain. But you are correct that the weir will max out before the drains will. It still will handle way more than what people throw at it.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I'm trying
IMG_2087.PNG
I'm almost at 4000 right now
Flx8_4 is my right return
Rleft is left return
The sensors are about ten inches away from the sea swirls in a straight line so I think it's accurate enough

Also @mixer911 if you were wondering which I'm sure u forgot already but I adjusted my vectra so they are roughly putting out the same gph (within ten in hour) and the noise has subsided a lot still there but way better.

Thanks for the help again

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixer911 (gotta use the right tag for these guys!)

My overflow had some noise, but it was because I had the risers for the drains too low, and I was hearing the sound of the water move from the internal box to the exterior box. Making my drain pipes 3/4" higher took care of the noise completely.
This was exactly my issue as well with my ghost. Moved them up a bit and took care of it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back