Trickling noise coming from overflow box

jacob4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mini reef 150, and there's a constant trickling noise coming from the overflow box. There's a durso standpipe and a return pipe in the box, I'm not sure if the trickling is coming from the water flowing into the overflow box or from the water draining through the pipe, but the sound goes away when I raise the water level in the overflow box, until it drains and the noise starts up again. Does anyone know a solution to this? Thanks. I can also post a video if needed.

20231227_154810.jpg

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely coming from water cascading over the weir into the overflow chamber. Could also be water splashing into the sump due to the water and air mixing in your drain pipe. Have you considered going with a herbie style drain? It would completely silence the noise you’re dealing with . You would have to reroute your return over the lip of the tank however. Just food for thought.

OP
OP
J

jacob4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely coming from water cascading over the weir into the overflow chamber. Could also be water splashing into the sump due to the water and air mixing in your drain pipe. Have you considered going with a herbie style drain? It would completely silence the noise you’re dealing with . You would have to reroute your return over the lip of the tank however. Just food for thought.
Yeah I've looked at it a little bit, but I'm not sure how to go about installing one, I could cut the durso pipe but I'm not sure how I would install an emergency drain pipe. I'll have a look into it now though, thanks for the response

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've looked at it a little bit, but I'm not sure how to go about installing one, I could cut the durso pipe but I'm not sure how I would install an emergency drain pipe. I'll have a look into it now though, thanks for the response
It’s not difficult but it would require some work. You would basically use the overflow for your drains. One would be a primary drain and the other for an emergency. Your return would be rerouted from the sump over the top of the tank. Invest in a spears gate valve to make fine adjustments and your tank will be dead silent! More importantly you’ll have a fail safe now if your drain ever gets clogged for whatever reason.

OP
OP
J

jacob4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not difficult but it would require some work. You would basically use the overflow for your drains. One would be a primary drain and the other for an emergency. Your return would be rerouted from the sump over the top of the tank. Invest in a spears gate valve to make fine adjustments and your tank will be dead silent! More importantly you’ll have a fail safe now if your drain ever gets clogged for whatever reason.
Yeah sounds good, one last thing, the pipes that are already installed in the tank are different sizes, do you think I should use the smaller or larger pipe for the primary drain? Thanks again

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sounds good, one last thing, the pipes that are already installed in the tank are different sizes, do you think I should use the smaller or larger pipe for the primary drain? Thanks again
Somebody else is going to chime in on this I’m sure but I believe conventional wisdom is to use the smaller pipe for the full siphon and larger pipe for the emergency. My tank the drains are all 1” so I didn’t have that dilemma.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you glue the pipes in your overflow? Because you don't need to.

I mean, if it leaks, where is it going to go? ;)

OP
OP
J

jacob4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you glue the pipes in your overflow? Because you don't need to.

I mean, if it leaks, where is it going to go? ;)
One of them is siliconed on, but I can pretty easily get them both off, I was just wondering how I could fit 3 pipes in the overflow box. I think I'm gonna run the return pipe up the back of the tank instead

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with a Bean Animal overflow. I’m pretty sure my trickle is coming from water taking over the weir. I’m not quite sure how to resolve that.
Raise your secondary pipe. Raise it so it's only a half an inch drop for the water over the Weir.
And then of course you'll have to adjust your emergency.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of them is siliconed on, but I can pretty easily get them both off, I was just wondering how I could fit 3 pipes in the overflow box. I think I'm gonna run the return pipe up the back of the tank instead
So you only have two holes in the Overflow. One will be your main drain and one will be your emergency.
The return will go over the back side the tank. If you're like me and I already popped out the plastic for the pipe to go through the wier, have the pipe come over the back where overflow section is and just have it come out where the pipe is supposed to go. Or if you don't want to do that use black plastic and cover the section that was cut out.

Last edited:

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Raise your secondary pipe. Raise it so it's only a half an inch drop for the water over the Weir.
And then of course you'll have to adjust your emergency.

My secondary is about as high as it can go and still have room for the emergency :confused:

That’s one complaint I have with the Planet Aquariums overflow box. It sits just a smidge too low.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back